Drop A String Gauges on a 7-string guitar?

KevinTJH

• Members

Hi guys, just wanted to know what string gauges you guys would use on a 7-string guitar with Drop A tuning (A E A D G B E), basically just a standard tuned 7-string guitar, with the a drop A string.

I love high tensions for all my heavy rhythm playing. I play predominantly in Drop C (C G C F A D) on a 6-string guitar, and I use the Ernie Ball Super Slinky 7-string set on it (without the "9"), then I swap out the lowest string for a "56". So essentially I use a 11-56 set for Drop C (4 wound strings instead of 3). I really like this tension and setup.

How would I do the same for my 7-string guitar? Would I get an 8-string set for it? I was considering this set:

https://www.ernieball.com/guitar-str...strings#P02625

However, that would make the "13" on the E-string waaaaaaay too tight for me.

• Members

A .011 tuned to D will have about 15.6 lbs. tension. It sounds like you want something that will yield the same tension at E. That would be close to a .010. d'Addario has a very comprehensive tension guide that should prove useful even if you use someone else's strings: http://www.daddario.com/Resources/JDCDAD/images/tension_chart.pdf. Ernie Ball makes a 10-56 set (http://www.juststrings.com/ebl-2621.html) for 7-string.

• Members
Hi guys' date=' just wanted to know what string gauges you guys would use on a 7-string guitar with Drop A tuning (A E A D G B E), basically just a standard tuned 7-string guitar, with the a drop A string. [/quote']

When I go 7-stringing these days, this (Dunlop Heavy Core 10~60) is all I use.

They don't cost a lot, they don't have fret/string buzz problems, and they sound plenty good.

HeavyCore7StringSet-11.png

• Members

Thanks for the responses, guys. Yea these string tension calculators are useful and I have used them. But I'm more curious as to which set of strings (mass produced) will be able to fit the criteria as close as possible. It would be frustrating to have to purchase each string individually to make my own set.

When I go 7-stringing these days, this (Dunlop Heavy Core 10~60) is all I use.

They don't cost a lot, they don't have fret/string buzz problems, and they sound plenty good.

HeavyCore7StringSet-11.png

This seems close to the tension I'm looking except the Low A string is just way too loose.

I used an online string tension calculator, and here are the results:

C2 on 56 gauge - 15.89lbs

A1 on 60 gauge - 13.07lbs

Looks like maybe I might be better off just buying a 10-48 6-string set, and then an extra fatass string for the low A?

• Members
I decided to just wing it. I bulk ordered some strings already.

I went ahead with a 6-string set of 10-46, and bought individual 66 strings.

That's certainly a reasonable approach (standard set + 1 heavy).

The Dunlop Heavy Core set I use has a well balanced sound. Going with an even heavier 7th string could make that one string louder or a bit boomy.

For use with a 66 bottom string I'd likely go with an 11~56 standard NPS set. I would also want to be using a 7-stringer with at least a 26.5 inch scale if I'm using a 0.66 Drop-A string.

• Members

Dean Markley and GHS both make a 10-60 set for 7 string. Either should work. If not, La Bella makes 10-64 and 10-70 sets but they're a bit expensive. You mentioned Ernie Ball strings in your original post and I thought you wanted to say with that brand.

• Members
But gosh' date=' 54 for an E string is ridiculously tight!!!![/quote']

Not sure where you're coming from but I'm going to assume this is in response to the DR's I suggested. There is no 54 in that set. There is a 56, which would be tuned to A, not E. The E string would be a 46. Does that make more sense?

• Members

Rereading your original post, you want about 20 lbs. tension on the low A string. That's going to require a 74 or so in a regular string, something like the 10-70 LaBella set I mentioned or a heavy core string like *BLEEP* recommended. I can't find anything specific about the DR's but if they're made for drop tuning they may have heavier than normal cores.

• Members

Well, i play with my band only in Drop C and i use EB's (.052-.011) and they are kinda thin, i would like to have at least .056 for the C string. Anyway if i were to have a Drop A tuned guitar i would use at least .065 gauge for the A string, back when i was playing in B standard (on a 6 string, B E A D F# B) i was using Daddarios .060 - .012 and they were doing they job fine. Remember, if you want a heavy, beefy tone just go for thickest gauges and buy nickel plated strings.

• Members
. . . Anyway if i were to have a Drop A tuned guitar i would use at least .065 gauge for the A string' date=' . . .[/quote']

Hence my recommendation of the LaBella HRS-74 10-70 set: http://www.labella.com/products/hrs-74-nickel-rounds-7-string-10-70/. (Ignore the pic of the package, it's for the HRS71 set, which is 10-64. The specs are for the correct set though.)

Archived