Fishing for answers on a Fishman Soloamp

steve mac

• Members

I'm hopelessly old school. I like the powered mixer w/ passive speakers so I can mix and match- most restaurant gigs require one 12" speaker on a stick. Some require two. Some requires two speakers at different volumes, which I can do because the mixer has two power amps and 10 band EQs, as well as onboard FX so I can use one amp for each speaker and set levels and EQ separately. Each amp is 300 watts. The band uses it too, so we use 2 JBL 15s and a powered speaker for a monitor. I don't think there is any one perfect setup or right one. It just has to be whatever works for you. My solo gig is always at least three trips to the car for the speakers, stands, power amp, cord/mic bag, mic stand, pedal board, tip jar and two guitars.

• Moderators

I was in the same boat until 1) I decided to get rid of my aged PA [which helped defray the cost of...] 2) the SA 220 came out and had what I needed for my solo gig. Then when the gigs got bigger, I went with powered speakers and a passive Yamaha mini mixer with efx., the cost of which was half or less that what my old PA [8ch board, 2 crown amps, 2 CV 12 cabs {got when I was consulting for them ~1994/5, factory '2nds'}] would have cost to replace. This has been beneficial as I can work solo, duo or up to a quartet with no sound problems [using 'hotspot monitors]. Weight wise, my old PA [the dinosaur] weighed easily four times what the new one weighs, and the new one can be done in two trips with a hand truck/cart. I don't miss it at all.

The 2 Alto 10's with their class D amps still weigh half what the CV 12's weighed...and, sadly, after only a few years of club work [after which smoking was banned in LA], getting the scent of smoke out of the CVs I/O carpet covering was nigh on to impossible...MommaMack made me store them in the garage...I had to douse them in Febreze for several days when I wanted to sell them...

• Members

Is there any love or otherwise for the Mackie Reach it seems to have mixed reviews or for that matter the Line 6 L2t. Still weighing up the options whilst waiting for the new Soloamp to hit the stores. The L2t intrigues me with its FRFR which may suit my playing both acoustic and electric.

Archived