NOGD: 1985 Takamine EN-25

Glenn F

• Members

Ok, so it came this afternoon. I wasn't expecting a whole lot, but I am quite surprised and happy with my purchase. As I mentioned in another post, I was looking at a Walden G2070 or a Furch G-20CM. I am glad that this one came along instead. The others have mahogany b/s, but I prefer the tone that the rosewood gives on this guitar.

It is solid cedar/solid rosewood back and sides, with an ebony fretboard. It is setup for .011s, and it is fine with those. The neck angle is about 1mm below the bridge, nothing really significant, especially on a guitar this age. The frets have some wear on the 1st/2nd frets, but again, not an issue at this point. Intonation is as good as any of my other 'A' list acoustics. It plays very easily, and sounds very nice either strummed, flat-picked, or finger-picked. The only issue is the stock pickup is dead, so I'll have that looked at. All in all, I am pleased with my purchase. This guitar can sit with my Martins, Taylors and Lakewoods without feeling inadequate.

44c50fd8a0e51e71c0018045bf4c8b36.thumb.jpg.6a81bfc259f30856a7244a8fcd3d0c3b.jpg

a629e6b9e6ce1d4606f3b9f0ea94f220.thumb.jpg.732a730a0786e8392706ce42a5b9539e.jpg

• Members

HNOGD :)

i often read "frets have some wear" but i don't know exactly what it means. i have no picture in my head what the difference between some and lots of wear is? and what is "repairable" without refreting and when refreting is the only choice?

the reason i ask such stupid questions is, i have my old washburn wd10 hanging on the wall, and there is wear on the first 3 frets with the high strings, which makes it no fun to play a D chord e.g.

a refret would cost more than a new wd12. so the guitar hangs on the wall for nostalgic reasons, but if it would be repairable without the full cost it would get some play time again...

• Members

Looks sweet. Congratulations and Happy New (Old) Guitar Day.

. . . i have my old washburn wd10 hanging on the wall, and there is wear on the first 3 frets with the high strings, which makes it no fun to play a D chord e.g.

a refret would cost more than a new wd12. so the guitar hangs on the wall for nostalgic reasons, but if it would be repairable without the full cost it would get some play time again...

Depending on the degree of wear, you might be able to get the frets crowned. Pricing should run $30-40.

• Members

I wish this had happened about two weeks ago - I had two guitars in for fretwork - in both cases the customer wanted them refretted (which I did) but while one really needed it, in my opinion the other did not and could have gotten by for quite a while with just some leveling and crowing.

I could have taken pictures of both and we could have had a nice discussion. I did replace the first 5 on one and 7 on the other (acoustic player only wear out the first few frets) and the owners are happy.

Bottom line, its a judgement call - even if they are not replaced there is a certain amount of work involved in the dressing - I tend to think that when in doubt go ahead and replace, then level everything. In general I just think of frets like tyres on your car - they wear out, replace them and if there is any doubt, do it sooner than later.

• Members

Thanks.

Here is a pic of the frets that the seller sent to me. the wear has no significant impact on intonation or fretting that I have noticed.

One thing, though. The guitar was owned by a smoker at some point. It has a bit of a nasty smell about it. I haven't smoked in 15 years, so none of my other guitars have this smell. I'll live with it.

c296c82b5b083f057f1c5931fa4b1784.thumb.jpg.2099eb273ce0019b37099bd21949b11f.jpg

Thanks.

Here is a pic of the frets that the seller sent to me. the wear has no significant impact on intonation or fretting that I have noticed.

One thing, though. The guitar was owned by a smoker at some point. It has a bit of a nasty smell about it. I haven't smoked in 15 years, so none of my other guitars have this smell. I'll live with it.

You can spray Fabreeze in the case interior and leave it sitting empty and open in the sunlight for a couple of days, and that should reduce the smell considerably. Repeat as needed. Alternatively, some baking soda can be sprinkled on the case interior instead… and then vacuumed out after a few days. Another trick that can help is a couple of dryer fabric softener sheets left in the accessory compartment of a closed case.

Congrats on the Tak Glenn. :cool2: I've recorded one of those before, and they really are nice sounding instruments!

• Members
Thanks.

Sorry, my reply regarding frets was to t_e_l_e. Yours look fine for a 25 year old guitar. I know what you mean about the smoke smell. I've never smoked and I don't care for it at all. As Phil said, try Febreeze or one of his other suggestions.

• Members

Sorry, my reply regarding frets was to t_e_l_e. Yours look fine for a 25 year old guitar. I know what you mean about the smoke smell. I've never smoked and I don't care for it at all. As Phil said, try Febreeze or one of his other suggestions.

31 years old, but who's counting? Put on some new .011-.052 Elixirs on it today. It is a pretty lively guitar, given that it is so well-built that it could be used in hand-to-hand combat.

Thanks for the tips, Phil, but odour seems to emanate from the guitar as well. Can I spritz some Febreez in there, too?

1985.... seems a life-time ago. It was my 2nd year at junior college, doing a pre-university program, and being reckless with drink, pot and acid. Still managed to graduate with Honours, though.... :rastaphil:

• Members
31 years old, but who's counting? Put on some new .011-.052 Elixirs on it today. It is a pretty lively guitar, given that it is so well-built that it could be used in hand-to-hand combat.

Thanks for the tips, Phil, but odour seems to emanate from the guitar as well. Can I spritz some Febreez in there, too?

1985.... seems a life-time ago. It was my 2nd year at junior college, doing a pre-university program, and being reckless with drink, pot and acid. Still managed to graduate with Honours, though.... :rastaphil:

Yeah, I should have known better. 1985 is the year I got married. I'd been out of college for 10 years. Anyway, I wouldn't spray anything in the guitar. Give it lots of fresh air and hope for the best but keep it humidified.

I can't say I'd recommend that... :)

How is the humidity level around your house? If it's not too high or low, maybe leave the guitar sitting out for a few days on a guitar stand while you're dealing with the case. It will help dissipate the smell, and since you won't be putting it back into a smelly case, the smell should gradually go away.

If the case is really bad, I'd start with the baking soda, then vacuum that out really good, then do the Fabreeze. After that's done, put a couple of drier sheets into the case.

The fabric softener sheets inside the accessory compartment can be left in there even with the guitar in there, and over time will also help kill whatever smell remains after the baking soda and Fabreeze. Swap out the sheet every few days too.

Congrats on graduating with honors! :philthumb:

Archived