EHX Mini-Synthesizer

• Members

I've always been a fanboy of EHX because of their daringness to try just about anything: amps, microphones, rackmounts, drum modules... whatever! I am so thrilled that they have jumped into software products now.

I downloaded the Mini Synth app for iPad yesterday and played with it a bit last night. Loads of fun. There are obviously quite a bit more features in the app than in the original EH-400, or even the EH-410 (w/ delay): for example - presets, retriggering, reverb, and the ability to slide across the octaves.

However, don't expect the app to have the identical sound or response to the original analog circuits. The app is a digital approximation. But as an owner of an original EH-400, I am super pleased to have something different and unique to add to my library of sounds instead of a carbon copy recreation of a predecessor.

• Members
So… why don't you write a HC review? :):idea: You have an original EH-400 for comparison' date=' you have the software iPad version, you're a bona-fide EHX expert, and I can help you with editing and whatever else you may need… :snax::)[/quote']

I am sincerely honored by your invitation, Phil :D

My dilemma is that I am full-time daddy daycare right now for my 7-month old baby girl, and finding the spare time to test out all of the functionality of the app is a real challenge for me. In particular, I'm really looking forward to using my ioDock to test out the MIDI capabilities; but that is a rabbit hole that could eat up a whole morning. If I had the time, I would jump at the chance to take you up on the offer! :cool:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I bought one of those new in 1982, it was a LOT of fun, other than the ribbon keyboard - but for a $250 analog monosynth, it was a LOT of fun!

I am gonna download the app, heard it sounds really good. I have been doing a lot of ipad based recording and synth stuff lately, it's a lot of fun!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm afraid my review was of their marketing campaign. They guaranteed that I will not try that pedal. And in a sense, I was absolutely joking ... though I meant every word.

OTOH, give me a month to get into the school year, and if I notice I'm purchasing EHX apps, I'll shoot a PM. I'm very, very excited by the possibilities here.

Archived