What is the best replacement for a licensed Floyd Rose?

• Members

Hello everyone.

I'm looking to upgrade from a licensed Floyd Rose type tremolo in a B.C.Rich Ironbird. I have 3 options and I'd like to know if you have had experience with any of them to see which is best. The options are:

a) Gotoh 1996T.

b) Schaller Floyd Rose.

c) Floyd Rose Original Series.

Thank you in advance for your opinions and your help. Any other suggestions are welcome.

• Members

If durability is a factor, Gotoh uses some excellent metal alloys that last a good long time. I have several of their TOM bridges which are superior to just about any others In comparison, I'm ready for a third stock bridge on my LP in that same amount of time. The only reason I haven't swapped it out is because I'm keeping the LP all stock. I have a couple sets of their tuners that have lasted over 25 years with hard use as well. Not sure how good their Floyds are but Its a pretty safe bet they will outlast allot of others.

• Members

I've got both a floyd original and a Gotoh 1996T. Both are really nice but I'd say I prefer (at this point) the floyd original.

Now...the guitar with the floyd original was bought new by me and has light mileage on it. The guitar with the Gotoh was bought used and I have no idea how heavy handed the previous owner was. So that's the caveat on what I'm about to say.

I prefer the Original simply because the Gotoh trem bar has developed some "play" in it. The Gotoh is threaded on the inside and screws on at the bottom of the hole. ie...you stick the trem in and spin it around until it's tight. The original has a "cap" screw down mechanism. Insert the trem into the hole then put the cap over the threaded part and tighten the cap with your fingers.

If there is a way to adjust the Gotoh to get rid of that play I haven't figured it out yet. Seems like it's wear though.

Aside from that....they both seem to be about the same quality.

• Members
. . . I prefer the Original simply because the Gotoh trem bar has developed some "play" in it. The Gotoh is threaded on the inside and screws on at the bottom of the hole. ie...you stick the trem in and spin it around until it's tight. The original has a "cap" screw down mechanism. Insert the trem into the hole then put the cap over the threaded part and tighten the cap with your fingers.

If there is a way to adjust the Gotoh to get rid of that play I haven't figured it out yet. Seems like it's wear though. . . .

FWIW, I think I know what you're talking about and I fixed that particular issue on my Fernandes Strat by finding a hex nut at a local hardware store that would fit the threaded part of the (Fender style) trem arm. I could keep the arm in place and eliminate "play" by tightening the nut. Couldn't do it with fingers but it worked on the same principle.

• Members

Well, here's a question I should have asked earlier.... Why are you replacing it?

If it's because it's not returning to tune, it's a reasonably quick and simple fix:

1) detune the guitar, pull the Floyd out, and look at the "knife edges". If you see little burrs, or they look dull, take a small file, and smooth the edges. Put back on, retune, and play. if it still doesn't come back to tune:

2) Replace the posts. you can find them on feebay for about 2 bucks. Did that with a Mockingbird, and fixed the issues in about 2 minutes. (minus 2 weeks from shipping.)

• Members

FWIW, I think I know what you're talking about and I fixed that particular issue on my Fernandes Strat by finding a hex nut at a local hardware store that would fit the threaded part of the (Fender style) trem arm. I could keep the arm in place and eliminate "play" by tightening the nut. Couldn't do it with fingers but it worked on the same principle.

The problem with the gotoh is that the threads are on the inside of the actual bar. So the bar is "female" and down inside the trem hole is the "male" part. lol.

I'll probably just end up buying a new arm kit for it.

I think I read that original floyd arm kits will fit into gotoh bridges. I might try that if I get verification. Apparently the 1st generation floyd arm mechanism is better and they still sell it.

• Members

I've had success using Loctite for strat trem's when they get worn. It fills the worn grooves and tightens the arm up nicely without permanently bonding. You apply it to the arm threads then just wang it down in there. Then when it starts to harden you make sure the arm is still free.

Only use Loctite though, never something like glue or you'll never be able to get the arm to break free. Loctite is designed to temporarily adhere to metal so you can break it free. It lasts a fair amount of time before you need to reapply.

Of course a replacement arm is the best fix but it may still wobble if the block is worn.

• Members

Before you upgrade why not upgrade the tremolo block first? That's what I did with my Jackson's licensed Floyd. The upgrade was worth it! and only cost me $28. It made huge change to the sound and sustain and completely changed my Jackson into a new guitar.

362110a1950da980ccfd33196a0ed8e7.thumb.jpg.4a9cfc5d91489a049eb47165432cab51.jpg

• Members

The guitarfetish Floyd's are pretty nice, and under $100. The only downside is the block's a little thin. But that's replaceable . Ive had excellent use out of one. The cool thing about these is they'll retro onto practically any post, as one side is a knife edge with no locking curve.

Not on any budget, probably original Floyd, though, with the amount of use ive gotten out of licensed (14 years with the one on my Beast, five or six out of the GF) I have no complaints.

• Members
The guitarfetish Floyd's are pretty nice' date=' and under $100. The only downside is the block's a little thin. But that's replaceable.[/quote']

My thoughts exactly, and that's another option I've been seriously contemplating, but when considering the cost of replacing the brass block, probably it would end un costing as much as a real Gotoh.

Archived