old ADJ Vortex and blown lamps

• Members

i picked up 4 older vortex lights in a trade. they are in great shape. these are kind of a mirrored pre-scanner type light, they dont have an XY axis or gobos, but do have a colorwheel. the mirror sits at a fixed axis and spins. i think they are neat although very primitive compared to modern scanners. best i can tell these date back to 1998. there is NO information at ADJ website but there are parts, and i did find a manual online somewhere else.

when i brought them home 2 of the lights had working lamps, the other 2 were burned and black at the tip. i ordered 4 new Osram EXY 82V 250W 93510 from stagelightingstore. i put them in and noticed they were a lot brighter than the existing lamps which were philips (i assume they were very old). i ran the lights in my office via dmx freestyler to see how the functioned, i probably put an hour on these lamps doing this. i coulnt get the lights to respond to music at all and the manual suggests there is an adjustment knob on the bottom but there is not. i took one apart and found what i think is the microphone and i do see a PCB mounted pot but i dont know if its for that or somethng else. i didnt touch it.

i took the lights out to my shop, set them up and brought out a small PA, an 18" sub with a 15" +horn top. i placed the lights about 5' from the PA and turned up the pa until the lights responded. it wasnt real loud, nothing like at an event or concert. the lights ran about 1 minute and all the lamps went out. when the lamps were cool, i took them out and every filament was destroyed, fallen apart in a pile inside the bulb. some bulbs had a small black scorch mark.

i measured the voltage at the lamp base and it measures 12.3 volts when the lamp is supposed to be on.

did i order the wrong lamps? i ordered what the manual suggested. what do i look for next?

Archived