R.I.P. Ralph Stanley

• Members

Yes, Dr Ralph Stanley passed away last week. I was lucky enough to see him at a local festival several years ago. It was a chance of a life time that is for sure.

Now Dr Stanley was not a young man, and I believe died as a result on melanoma cancer.

About 5 years ago I had an issue that sent me to a dermatologist, and the skin nazi as I called her, gave me the once over with a magnifying glass. She told me the sun is not what it once was, and she couldn't tell me how many cases of skin cancer she sees on any given week.

See melanoma doesn't exactly kill you, but send the bad out to other vital organs, which will kill you fast. I'm talking months if untreated.

As I head out to several other music fest this summer, I take plenty of water, a comfy chair, a hat and plenty of sun block.

Not that to many folks go to this section of HC, but his name is more than worth the mention as one of the greatest banjo players and gospel country players of all time.

Twenty plus years ago I picked up the mandolin. I wish I had more time to devote to it, but I love me some old timey music, bluegrass and gospel, and I love the Gibson F5G I picked up last year. Although I must say I am hardly worth of such a fine instrument, hand signed and tuned by David Harvey himself.

You are very lucky to live in the country music capital of the world, with such a diverse group of players to play with or see live.

All we can do here on earth is pass on great songs and love of music to the next generation of pickers and players, that will hopefully carry on where others left off.

I hope when my time comes they hand me a guitar as I pass through the gates of heaven. :D

RIP Dr Ralph Stanley.

[video=youtube;22phfPdMejc]

[video=youtube;v_aVlaJO2aE]

[video=youtube;wQRh7dvmY50]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQRh7dvmY50

[video=youtube;ug8p5pVsj9U]

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived