sr4722a foh

• Members

hi guys, i plan to modify four sr4722a for foh use. i can get two horns to fit, one is 60x40 and the other is 90x40. for those who have used those boxes, which horn is best. i will use two for clubs/ small gigs and four for large gigs. how many people would four cover outside? i plan to power them with a qsc plx 3402. any help will be appreciated.

• CMS Author

hi just mike, thanks for the info.do you pictures of the setup? i want to be sure you a talking about the jbl sr4722a with the baby butt cheeks, also do you know what manufacture horns were used?

Sorry to nitpick, but to be clear, the 4722a has a "buttcheeks", where the 4732 has the "baby buttcheeks". Your has the fullsized HF horn, the smaller horn was for the UHF driver.

I'm curious why you're planning to modify these speakers, as they are already a FOH design.

• CMS Author

I agree that selling would be much better than modification. The SR series still get decent resale for their age. Once you mod the box, it's worth very little, and it may not work as you intended.

Regarding the short throw; it's only important if you're forced to cover an audience *from* a distance, in other words that the distance from speaker to the front row is great. You aren't going to cover a substantial audience size with one or two pair of these boxes regardless of the horn configuration...they're relatively small speakers for outdoors.

All things considered, if you haven't actually used them and found them lacking for your actual needs, I'd do just that...give them a try. If your audiences are larger than they can handle, you should be earning enough $$$ to purchase substantially more gear anyway.

• Members

I agree that selling would be much better than modification. The SR series still get decent resale for their age. Once you mod the box, it's worth very little, and it may not work as you intended.

Regarding the short throw; it's only important if you're forced to cover an audience *from* a distance, in other words that the distance from speaker to the front row is great. You aren't going to cover a substantial audience size with one or two pair of these boxes regardless of the horn configuration...they're relatively small speakers for outdoors.

All things considered, if you haven't actually used them and found them lacking for your actual needs, I'd do just that...give them a try. If your audiences are larger than they can handle, you should be earning enough $$$ to purchase substantially more gear anyway.

The length of throw is only half of the picture. A 100x100 pattern sprays sound all over the floor, walls, and ceiling at the same time...less than ideal.

• CMS Author

The length of throw is only half of the picture. A 100x100 pattern sprays sound all over the floor, walls, and ceiling at the same time...less than ideal.

Not outside it doesn't. ;)

Reflection is going to happen regardless of the pattern width. The only difference is where the initial reflection occurs, and I can't imagine that being important.

• Members

There will be some additional losses for sound dispersed outside the desired pattern but outside it won't usually cause problems. You may however run out of high end by the time there is adequate HF at a distance as the padding on a 100x100 deg will be about 6dB relative to a 90x40... meaning that it will take roughly 4x the amp power at a given distance for the HF. This is accounted for within the passive crossover design but places added stress on the driver.

Archived