What do you do to create a "party atmosphere"

eddieboston2

• Members

I don't know how much he drinks. I doubt that he gets too drunk. Anyway, I just watched part of one of his videos where he's playing a fundraiser. He Played a song and then talked on the mic for 5 minutes non stop. He told a story which took up most of that time. He also asked questions to the audience, like who has an anneversary. He also got two girls in bikinis up on stage dancing during one song. So, I agree with those that talked about audience participation. I've seen other solos that get someone to come up on the stage and do something that doesn't require any talent. People like that stuff, mostly their friends, but it is much more of a happening than one guy playing songs.

• Members

Well, the gig went pretty well. I don't know if I'd call it a party atmosphere, but people seemed to enjoy the music. I don't know if it will be a good long-term venue - it was mostly full of good-ole-boy types who've been going there for years and just want to drink their liquor. A few of my friends stopped by to see me and got a ... mixed welcome, let's say.

• Members

I'm a pretty laid back personality, so I purposely avoid "party atmosphere" gigs. I like being the guy in the corner with the acoustic guitar who plays mellow chill dinner stuff, collects a check and 50 to 100 dollars in the tip jar every night, gets a free steak dinner and goes home at 8 or 9. LOL

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Sven said:

"Nothing..I'm not a monkey and the gigs I've had where a DJ like expectation of making a party was on me were MISERABLE. My advice. Don't take the gig. Seriously. Life is too short. I've been there done that with this type of situation and it NEVER ends well for a solo. "

He makes a good point. Try not to sweat this gig to much...might work out...might not. Be YOU. If you can win em over: GREAT. If not: You can't win em all. And if you do this as a biz.....its not worth re-tooling for for one room.

I mean every word. Now go have FUN.

• Members

Generational generalization alert:

I play a number of songs that appeal to the under-35 crowd. It's fun. The staff always tells me how much they like having me there. People like it. But that crowd rarely tips. The old guy at a table with his wife who seems indifferent is more likely to leave a good tip than a young person singing along. So it goes.

• Members

That's likely true. But I think older generations were raised around more live music in bars. I could be wrong. Young people I think are better tippers for service on average. We were raised in a time with an 18% tipping standard. Older folks weren't. I've returned to a table many times to correct $2 tips left by people buying my meal. Tipping musicians to me is less of an etiquette thing and more just a nice thing to do. Obviously this is all anecdotal from my experience. And frankly, I appreciate seeing a crowd enjoy what I'm doing just as much. It makes my job a lot more fun for me.

• Members

STM86 The service staff I work with takes a different view, here in NY. The staff often says "The kids don't know to tip at all..their parents do" We are talking about 20-30 year people not tipping at all. The service staff are bartenders basically. Me? As a musician, I understand their take...I really don't pre-judge because when it comes to music I see such a variety of people..I don't think any one metric fits at all. I've seen generous Japanese tourists (see post above)..and have seen some really frugal rich people. I just play the best I can and let their actions define them, whatever that may be. I try to be Karmic about it. It's all good, it all comes around, I don't need to stress about it.

Archived