What do you listen to recorded music on?

• Members

There are a number of people on this forum that professionally provide sound for live acts.

BUT -

When you are at home what type of system do you listen to recorded music on; your home stereo system?

Me? At my shop I have a run of the mill intergrated amp (30 watts/channel), a CD player and some old JBL L100's. To me it sounds good.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, I've got quite a few systems; some of my PA gear,,,, an old (late 70's) S.A.E. component/Morduant-Short Signifer loudspeaker system,,,,, a bunch of Quad amps, with B&W and Monitor-Audio bookshelf speakers,,,,, a set of Adam A7 studio-Monitors,,,,,and my main system for playback consists of an FM-Acoustics pre-amp,,,a Rexox CD player,,, Magnum-DynaLab FM tuner,,,, Oracle Delphi turntable w/ a moving-coil cartridge, feeding an FM-Acoustics head-amp, and the speakers are Spendor SA3 studio-monitors. (hand built/hard-wired/bi-amped).

Lately though, since I have a bunch of PA gear set-up in my living-room for band practice, I'm listening to my NX55p's, and loving what I'm hearing. Obviously though, all of these systems are for very different applications. It would be highly unfair and pointless, to compare one to the other.

• Members

A pair of RCF Art 310As with LS720P sub OR my pair of NX55Ps or Sony headphones is what I use 90% of the time. I like to listen to my different speakers however so the YX15Ps are hooked up once in a while too. The only powered speakers I rarely listen to in my studio are my Wharfedales which don`t have a very hi-fi sound to them and do better in a bigger environment and with live music IMO.

Al

• Members

I honestly don't really listen to music that much anymore.

If I do its on my car radio when a talk show I happen to be listening to goes to a commercial break.

When I do sit down and play some bass at home I will play along to music through a Ipod and a EV SXA250.

• Members

Laptop with my variety collection of CDs and DVDs since I got a few music DVDs with like Triumph live in Ca. which I use a RCA Y cable with 1/4 adaptor to a PV10 mixer to a pair of KRK rockets reference monitors plus sometimes set of Sens 280 cans.

• Members

Since I have a home studio...... Here's what I listen to:

Home theatre:

Pioneer 6.1 Reciever VSX-D811S + Altec 600W amp (run as 5.1) into 5 JBL 4612s + 1X 18" Wharfdale Sub

Studio:

Tracking - Crown DC 300A into 2 JBL 4312s or Rolls HP amp into AKG K240 Headphones (I listen to these the most at my desk).

Mixing- Onkyo 5.1 Reciever into 2 Yamaha NS10s

• Members

Adam A7

I have the A7X's, nice speakers.

My home stereo consists of a sony stereo receiver and a pair of polk audio bookshelf speakers. I don't really listen to music on that, though, so much as just watch movies and play video games.

• Members

X-M received plugged into a 20(?) yo. Denon receiver that I was gifted (cause it didn't work)... Current shop speakers is a pair of JF-100's... sounds fine (not much low-end though).

In the packing room, the XM is fed to a SAE parametric EQ I bought in the '70, then to Tubeworks 1500 amp... speakers are a couple of EAW UB12's with SB48 sub.

My old Chevy pick-up (1966 C-10) came from the factory as "radio delete"... I ripped out the included car audiopile that it came with when I bought it (Rockford Fosgate stuff I believe) and restored that portion of the vehicle to origonal stock, as it came from the factory (had a heck of a time finding the correct blank-over plate for the radio hole in the dash).

• Members

Mark, is that the S.A.E. E-101 EQ by any chance? My S.A.E. stack consists of the E-101 EQ, T-101 tuner, P-101 pre-amp, and the A-501 power-amp (250wRMS/ch) Weighs a ton. Built in California as I recall.

My SAE parametric is a model "1800"... probably mgf. mid-late '70's, looks like this (only mine is covered in dust):

http://www.audioscope.net/sae-1800-parametric-equalizer-p-691.html

Similar style as I recall to your 101/501 series SAE models (BTW... that's an enviable SAE pile you have there).

• Members

I listen to music while working at home through headphones, Sennheiser HD600s right now with either PC or portable CD player source played through a hi fi preamp. In my home rehearsal studio, I sometimes listen to music through the PA rig I will be using for my next gig. Right now, that is a pair of QRX112/75 mains, a PRX618S-XLF sub, all via a Xilica XP4080 DSP and QSC PLX1804 amp (amp is in the next room, too noisy to keep in the studio). I find that setting up the PA I will be using next gig lets me get to know the DSP presets better and I have been known to make tweak adjustments in the presets based on the variety of music I listen to in the studio. Often this translates into better sound in the gig, sometimes it reflects room modes in the studio and winds up sounding worse in the venue. I only have 2 main systems and often use a smaller system, so more often than not I have the luxury of keeping the QRX system set up for listening. It also is great for practicing (congas) along with recorded music. When my group does frequent regular gigs I just leave everything packed from gig to gig.

• Members

(BTW... that's an enviable SAE pile you have there).

Yeah, They were pretty good back in the day. It's a shame I don't use them any more. I brought the amp in to a service place a few years back, and the guy there, said "now THIS is an amp",,,, not like these other POS I have sitting on the shelf", lmao. I bought the SAE's after my house was buglarized, and I lost my old Marantz gear. That stuff sounded pretty darned good too. That was near 1970,,, around the time that Saul Marantz was selling his company.

• Members

A pair of Klipsch LaScala's and a pair of Klipsch Belle's powered by a PLX 1202. Old Carver C1 preamp. An ancient Audiosource EQ, Nakamichi RX505 cassette deck(the mickey mouse close and play...lol), Yamaha linear tracking turntable, and a Carver Tuner. Thank god my living room is 24 X 24. LOL

• Members

My "serious" listening for enjoyment, instead of background music or learning new band arrangements is usually a late night thing. I can't run the home recording studio monitors due to neighbors and my wife's sleeping habits. So I kick back with a glass of wine, and listen through AKG K701 headphones, driven by a Grace m902 DAC/headphone amp. Interface is an RME HDSP on a computer that links to our network media server.

I have an ancient McIntosh stereo system packed away around here somewhere. I keep telling myself I should dust it off and find a place to hook it up, but old-school stereo systems just don't sound that good to me anymore, after experiencing good recording monitors (and mine aren't exactly state of the art).

• Members

It's ridiculous how many options I have at home. We have a cute little JVC bookshelf system that hasn't been hooked up in years. Down in the pool room is my old Onkyo hooked to a fairly large set of Realistic speakers with a million hours on them (at least) as well as a set of the RCA Radio Shack optimus speakers with the ribbon tweeter that provided some sparkle. We have a JVC home theater in the living room that sound pretty nice. Currently, I've been practicing guitar through my amp while playing CDs through my mixing board into my Yamaha P3500S and the EVSX300s I just picked up. I'd really shame myself to admit to a Behringer B210D that also serves that purpose, but I have no pride left after telling about the Bose sub/satellite in the kitchen/dining area. What's worse is that it sounds pretty good to me.

• Members

but I have no pride left after telling about the Bose sub/satellite in the kitchen/dining area. What's worse is that it sounds pretty good to me.

No shame there DaBender, Bose does and did make some pretty good stuff. My very first hi-end audio system (circa 1970) was an Empire Troubadour 598 turntable, with Marantz components, (amp, pre-amp, tuner), a set of Stax SR-5 electrostatic headphones (sigh) and a pair of what was then, a very radical design in loudspeakers, the Bose 901. There were eight drivers facing out of the rear of the speaker, in an angled rear-baffle configuration, with four drivers on each face of the baffle. Out front, there was a single driver (4 1/2"??) They were sold with a dedicated EQ unit.

At the time, I was looking at either the 901's or the gargantuan ElectroVoice Patrician 800's which were the size of refrigerators, and had a 30" Hartley woofer. Those 901's sounded great. They were a lil' bit pricey for their day,,, about $2k in 1970.

Why the angled rear baffle, with 4 drivers per side??? Well, their big "thing" was "reflected sound", so what you were hearing was 88% reflected sound, and 11% direct. They had to be placed a reasonable distance from corners, to get the rear and sidewall reflections.

• Members

Buddy of mine had early 901's. They sure did like power. Then he got Dahlquist that ate even more power.

My stereo is a pair of Polk Model 10 speakers which I got around '78 and still love. Thorens and B&O turntables, Carver preamp and my old kit built Dynaco ST150, which is sitting in for my Carver M500 which blew up. Plus a Teac 3300 and cassette deck. A friend made me a crap load of cassettes back in the mid-80's, so they have a ton of stuff that I don't otherwise own and would be hard pressed to find.

I don't sit and listen as much as I used to but I have a DVD player hooked up to the stereo and really enjoy concert DVD's.

• Members

Well I'll be damned; I just looked at Bose's website, and the STILL sell the 901's. Geez, that's over 40 years for that model,, although there were a few "versions" along the way.

http://www.bose.ca/controller?url=/shop_online/speakers/stereo_speakers/901_speakers/index.jsp

Funny story; I got fooled by the 901's

I had just bought them, and one morning, just after getting home from working a madnight shift, I turned on the system, and heard a knock at the door. I said "COME INNNN",,, nothing, I hear another knock on the door, and just as I started to say "Come in" again, I heard,,,, "Who IS it?",,,, Of course, the knock at the door, was actually coming from the 901's, and this was the famous "Dave's not Here" skit, from Cheech & Chong". Brings back some gooood memories.

• Members

Buddy of mine had early 901's. They sure did like power. Then he got Dahlquist that ate even more power.

My stereo is a pair of Polk Model 10 speakers which I got around '78 and still love. Thorens and B&O turntables, Carver preamp and my old kit built Dynaco ST150, which is sitting in for my Carver M500 which blew up. Plus a Teac 3300 and cassette deck. A friend made me a crap load of cassettes back in the mid-80's, so they have a ton of stuff that I don't otherwise own and would be hard pressed to find.

I don't sit and listen as much as I used to but I have a DVD player hooked up to the stereo and really enjoy concert DVD's.

I still use my old Polk 10's as the front speakers on my surround system. They work quite good!

• Members

Wow. $1600 each for Bose.

That would be the day.

Isn't that for a pair, and the active EQ included? The pic on their website, seems to suggest that. I doubt they'd be selling home stereo speakers, as separates,,, and you really do need the active EQ.

Frankly, I'm surprised they're that inexpensive, if that's the case. They used to retail for $2k a pair,,,, 40 years ago. They'd be an absolute bargain for that price. You'd probably be amazed at how good they can sound, in the right room.

Back in the day, I knew some pro lounge-singers, who lusted for the 802's, which were black, and those were used in reverse to the 901's,,,, the eight drivers, faced the audience.

• Members

Isn't that for a pair, and the active EQ included? The pic on their website, seems to suggest that. I doubt they'd be selling home stereo speakers, as separates,,, and you really do need the active EQ.

Frankly, I'm surprised they're that inexpensive, if that's the case. They used to retail for $2k a pair,,,, 40 years ago. They'd be an absolute bargain for that price. You'd probably be amazed at how good they can sound, in the right room.

Back in the day, I knew some pro lounge-singers, who lusted for the 802's, which were black, and those were used in reverse to the 901's,,,, the eight drivers, faced the audience.

I just have much better things I'd throw 2K at instead of Bose.

My home theater setup is all Mission, handwoven tweeters etc etc.

Blah blah, the speakers were the price I wanted to pay. In a room full of speakers from $50/pair to thousands, I walked down the line, until I seen the price I liked, and those were the ones.

They are pretty decent, British I guess.

:shrugs:

Archived