What about fans?

• Members
I play a weekly gig on a deck over salt water in a marina. It's once a week, for 7 months (not in the rainy season) and next October will start our 9th year.

We are a duo and have to of those 'squirrel cage" fans.

Like This:

31ZqTfbvVsL.jpg

They are small. That makes it easy to schlep. And they put out a lot of air.

Works for us.

Notes

I have a LASKO Like the above but it's a bit bigger. All the Disney acts have these one for each performer and I used one there. Just got one for my hideous outdoor 95 Degree Summer gigs...3 a week and another semi-outdoor!!. HATE HATE HATE The Summers in FL and the heat in general. I get very pissy and lethargic. Pretty much over 80 degrees here in FL with Summer Humidity is hell for me. Always has been. I lived in Alaska for 10 years if that tells you anything.

• Members

I have a LASKO Like the above but it's a bit bigger. All the Disney acts have these one for each performer and I used one there. Just got one for my hideous outdoor 95 Degree Summer gigs...3 a week and another semi-outdoor!!. HATE HATE HATE The Summers in FL and the heat in general. I get very pissy and lethargic. Pretty much over 80 degrees here in FL with Summer Humidity is hell for me. Always has been. I lived in Alaska for 10 years if that tells you anything.

I don't mind the heat. But when it gets under 70F / 21C it gets too cold.

Last night we played a gig where turned the AC down to about 60F / 15C and I was very uncomfortable. My sax was cold to the touch plus my breath condensed inside and leaked out on my fingers freezing them. I wondered why people move down here if they don't like the climate? Most of them retirees. They could have stayed 'up north' and enjoyed the cooler temperatures.

When the temperature cools down, my sax goes flat, and my guitar goes sharp. It's just the nature of those instruments. A few years ago I played on a stage that had a huge AC vent right over the stage. I couldn't get my tenor sax in tune as the freezing air kept the metal too cold. Then as I played it it would warm up and get almost in tune, only to sit out the next song while I played wind synth, flute, or guitar.

I don't like to play in the sun though. Leilani's Thunder Tactile MIDI Controller acts weird, and I can't see the displays on my synth module windows. Plus the sun just makes you tired. Even going to the beach and laying in the sun all day is tiring. I guess it's the radiation or something.

We do a lot of outdoor gigs. In the winter, it's at least one per week, and we have 3 this month and 4 next month. Gigs are good. And I'll bring the fans.

Actually, I don't live with Air Conditioning. I don't mind the heat (although when it gets over 90 and humid I get uncomfortable), and I do close the house up at 70 and turn the heater on at 65.

Interesting things I read about temperature and intonation.

When the temperature gets cold, the speed of sound is slower, so it seems like the sax is longer, and thus the pitch is lower. Opposite for warm weather.

When the temperature gets cold, the metal guitar strings contract, making them tighter and therefore higher in pitch.

So for all my years in guitar bands, I'd have to keep re-tuning my sax if the temperature of the gigs changed. After all, I have one adjustment and the guitars 4 or 6. But once we hired a keyboard player (b-3) the organ was the standard we had to adhere to. Now we have those great electronic tuners and intonation is easier.

Insights, incites and minor rants by Notes

• Members

Daddy,

Because I did my research and we have the absolute best corporate private events music industry in the country. I came here to build the business from my future and start making money again. My partner and I have a business plan and I'll be out of here in the summertime within the next five years I guarantee it. It's tolerable the rest of the year.

I did grow up in South Florida so I know the whole deal and yes I never liked the heat and humidity but from a business standpoint it completely made sense to move back here although to the Orlando area. It's just simply unparalleled here for corporate private events entertainment. I figure I lived all over the country and most of the places that I wanted to go up until my early 40s anyway :)

• Members

Notes, everyone is different and I've known many people like you growing up in PBC as I did. I however was on the opposite end of the spectrum. My house is never above 70 with the AC blasting at all times if my skin is it cool to the touch I'm not Comfortable. When I'm hot I get lethargic and very irritable. Pretty much over 80° and 65% humidity I start to get in a really bad mood.

• Members

I'm on the southern edge of Canada. Today it reached 90. This is not unusual this time of year. Tonight it will cool to 15c which lets me cool down the house overnight then shut it up during the day. It's 76 in the house right now in the late afternoon.

So heat is an occasional problem but for outdoor evening gigs, it's nothing on mosquitos. The good thing about the mosquitos is that they come out quite suddenly and the audience immediately leaves. Which means you can, too.

• Members

When I grew up nobody had air conditioning, so we just got used to the heat. I'm guessing I'm older than you sventvkg.

People planted trees, painted their roofs white, and dressed comfortably. It was the way of life. Then when ACs came into homes, I never embraced them - dry cold air isn't my thing. Now that electric power is extremely expensive, I'm glad I don't like AC. I save enough on my power bill alone to take a vacation every year - I've been to Europe, Asia, Central America, Africa, all of North America and every US state but Hawaii (it's next).

Mosquitoes can put a damper on a party. So can sand flies (no-see-ums). On our maria gig, sometimes the weather conditions bring the sand flies out in the afternoon (instead of dusk when they usually come out) and that can clear the deck in a few minutes.

• Members

steve, ran my taylor with a baggs system through a L1 with two bass bins. the house pa. it was/ is a very loud venue. 100+ loud crowd and it impressed me. i was predetermined to not like it and i got surprised.

• Members

absolutely. it will cover most any situation you can throw at it. it took some getting used to for me, but its amazing how good it sounds not to only to me but to my audience. Ive always used pro equipment but I have never got more compliments on my sound than I have since getting the Bose.

Archived