MeyerSound, and the Weekend Warrior

• Members

JM-3's, Those were originally Harry McCune's boxes right? I kind of remember them as being a 2 way precurser to something like the UPA's or maybe the 500 series but in a rectangular cabinet and had power amps by John Curl

Yes the boxes John Meyer designed while at McCune ... the "JM" for John Meyer. They were 3-way (don't forget the multi bullet 075 tweeters) basically like the MSL-3 box, all horn loaded 2x12", big 375 compression driver and about 6 bullets. Mine were all Crown powered with built-in DC-300, DC-150 and DC-60s along with a Meyer designed crossover and phase compensation. A rectangular big box before the trap boxes (which Meyer holds the patent for). I think we had about a dozen of them in the early 70's.

• Members

Something designed around UPA-1P or UPA-2P would be the most similar to a lot of rigs described in this forum. They could be mated to 500HP subs (dual 12) or 600HP subs (dual 15). For a similar style system (mains on sticks) but more horsepower, you could do UPQ-1P over 700HP subs (dual 18). The UPQ is 15"+1.5"......this stuff is getting pretty big and heavy though.

Not to mention a bit costly ;)

Bobby, to put together a club rig with say 4 UPA-1P's over 2 650-P's is probably going to cost you $50k CN. Would be a heck of a rig, not lightweight however.

I would suggest that 4 x SRX-712's over 2 x 728's with PROPERLY programmed processing and amps would get you to about 80% of the performance at about 1/3 the price. The weight would be lower too. IME, there is a lot of similarity between the 712 and the UPA-1A overall (considering the difference in HF dispersion).

• Members

Not to mention a bit costly
;)

Bobby, to put together a club rig with say 4 UPA-1P's over 2 650-P's is probably going to cost you $50k CN. Would be a heck of a rig, not lightweight however.

I would suggest that 4 x SRX-712's over 2 x 728's with PROPERLY programmed processing and amps would get you to about 80% of the performance at about 1/3 the price. The weight would be lower too. IME, there is a lot of similarity between the 712 and the UPA-1A overall (considering the difference in HF dispersion).

For ~300 people, do you think that a pair of SRX715's over a pair of SRX728's would be enough? I have seen this done before and it sounded quite good to me (quite powerful).

Oh, and I agree. An SRX rig is impossible to beat for the money. Great sounding rigs just shy of the very best money can buy in sound quality.

• Members

The big deal with Meyer, for me (I work for a Meyer dealer), is that they're designed to work in systems. Individual speakers aren't designed to sound great in CD playback shootouts, they're designed to play well with other speakers in a bigger system.

Take the UPA-1P... on its own in a shootout against similar speakers it doesn't sound very good. That's because it's flat, magnitude as well as phase. Put several into a theatre with other Meyer speakers and there's practically no EQ needed to get the system sounding good. With pretty much any other manufacturer you'd end up spending a fair bit of time tweaking EQ to get everything sounding right.

If you're doing rock for small crowds Meyer can do that (CQ or UPQ) , but if you're wanting to spend money you should also check out KV2 Audio; they make very nice speakers that really put out some volume for their size.

Archived