What is the typical hole size to mount a 1/4" female TRS jack on a plate...

• Members

I know there's probably variations, but what would be a ballpark hole size?

8904e09d.jpg

I'm going to make a small L bracket to mount a jack out of stainless, and I need to know what size hole to punch. (didnt bring one)

I'm moving the headphone jack on my StudioLive, not physically, but just a little jumper cord to a new jack, just the way the case is laid out...Since its TRS, will a piece of mic cable suffice as well for this?

Thanks in advance!!!

Case pic!

8addcc73.jpg

I know. Masking tape.

:facepalm:

• Members

Based on quick on-line research, it looks as if at least one of the Switchcraft TRS jacks is designed to fit a 3/8" (9.5 mm) hole. If you have metric tooling, 10 mm should be fine. I have not measured any myself; YMMV; and there are undoubtedly variations. (AH and others can chime in with corrections.) However, 3/8" sounds about right, given a nominal 1/4" male plug. Mark C.

• Members

If the bracket can touch the frame of the SL, it should have an isolated bushing. This is to prevent ground loops OR in the event that the headphone out uses a class D driver IC or a BTL headphone driver circuit. If you are not 100% sure (I am tot), you should isolate the ground (sleeve)

Standatd size for Switchcraft style is 3/8" BUT there are all kinds of Asian varients and if you use isolating shoulder washers, the hole diameter will be different.

• Members

I'm thinking of having a 90 degree TRS plug on one end, and then run it to a bracket attached to the case it's sitting on.

I can isolate the works from the frame with 1/8" Teflon gasket material

I DO know the dimensions of the D-Hole, maybe I'll make one of those and a 3/8" one as well!

Thanks for the info guys!

Archived