What To Look For In New Drummer

ski219

• Members

Our drummer just gave notice. He is planning to move down to Florida to take care of is aging father. Nice guy and a powerful drummer. Of course there are things I don't like about his playing, but the good outweighs the bad. Right now I am thinking about what Qualities I want and don't want in a drummer. We have at least a couple of months and are taking August off from gigging so are in a good position to take our time and find the right person.

About the band: We are a modern country band playing in medium to larger rooms. 6 piece, but that's just 2 guitars, bass, drums and male and female vocals. modern country is mostly pop and rock with a twangy vocal or guitar or both. We get paid 1.5 to 2x what the local classic rock and top 40 bands get. We are pretty good, but it seems like our format is a bit underserved here in southern new england and we are offered more gigs than we can play and can charge a premium.

What I think I want in a drummer:

1. Perfect timing (of course) Not just steady within a song, but starting them at the right tempo

2. Will lay down a powerful and simple groove... not too busy, not too jazzy or jam bandish.

3. Can play loose and figure out how to come into a song on the fly. We like to keep things moving along and the other guitar or I will often start a rhythm immediately after a song has finished and the drummer should be able to come in when ready. (This has been a bit of a problem with our current guy...not happy unless he counts us in)

4. Does his homework.

5. Can play with dynamics and feel and not just at full volume.

6. Not obsessive about his kit. Current guy has a real nice kit that he keeps in perfect condition. Ton of stuff, takes a ton of time to set up and break down, plus you are afraid to even touch the thing.

I could go on but I want to hear from you guys. What am I missing, what should I not worry about and what should I worry about?

• Members

We just changed drummers as well. After 10 years I lost my right-hand man who was also my drummer! But I digress.

Yeah...you hit all the major points, except maybe someone you can get along with well.

But yeah...you find all those things and you're gold.

Maybe I've been doing this for so long now but with me, I just seem to know right away whether someone will be a good fit or not. Sometimes you don't find that right away and you have to try to work with the best of what you can find, but you ALWAYS know it wasn't right.

Luckily, we found the right guy to replace our old drummer very easily. He's all you listed plus VERY easy to work with and get along with. Heck of a nice guy. Only 29, but more youth in the band is a good thing. (lol maybe at thinking 29 is "youth". We all still refer to him as "a kid". well, other than the 24 year old singer maybe)

He's technically a better player than our old drummer, but doesn't have the personality --- which was a big part of our stage show, so we will see how all that works out. I compare it to being Van Halen and we lost our David Lee Roth but found our Sammy Hagar.

I'll let you know how it goes.....

Good luck with the search!

• Members

5. Can play with dynamics and feel and not just at full volume.

I'd say your thoughts are on target. Another couple of points might be about personality issues; do you click? can the candidate help work the audience?

Were it me, I'd emphasize your #5, too. Audition technique: drag out your acoustic instruments, maybe vocal mics only (but maybe even no mics), and see if he can keep his volume matched to the situation.

There are some "market-place" helpers for that situation, things like Cool Rods or brushes, low volume cymbals, even e-drums, etc. but technique can be seriously important...

-D44

• Members

Your guy who couldn't join in when someone else starts a song sounds like a quarter note basher who doesn't know what "and" means. I've found this over and over again with self-taught drummers, and for me, it's a non-starter.

The drummers with musical training are often first call for several groups. Do you need an exclusive commitment?

• Members

Doesn't have to be exclusive. I play in other projects and so does one of our singers. We keep a band calendar where we all update any dates we are not available. We play 2-3 gigs a month, mostly Saturday nights and are booked into 2017.

Personality is a key point and one we will definitely take into consideration.

• Members

Personality is a key point and one we will definitely take into consideration.

Definitely this. Although it's no longer the case, I still look for a personality that would gel with a group of guys being on the road for six months at a time, playing anywhere from four to six nights a week.

• Members

I don't understand this personality issue. Guys who are hard to get along with invariably are being defensive about not being able to cop the groove on some (or many) songs. If you're comfortable with the way the music is being played, you get along. In my experience, it's that simple.

I will add that there can be issues about gigging expectations and the level of "professionalism" expected, but that can and should be discussed at length beforehand.

• Members

lol, buy a drum machine... you dont want an artist, you want a monkey...

you...will play nothing but chords, no solos or lead work, no endless tuning or amp adjustments... do NOT touch that thing between tunes! and listen... dont push or pull, you just play the tempo set and thats that. no dynamics, accents or deviations from the stone engraved instructions set forth... sorry, this would bore me to tears just by lack of personal dynamics that are inevitable with such an arrangement...

good luck!

• Moderators

One thing I have found that wasn't mentioned is stamina...I play with a variety of drummers, and many [more than I can count] lose steam as the gig goes on [sometimes as the SONG goes on...:eek: ]. Nothing sounds worse than a fatigued drummer trying desperately to get through the set.

Also, aside from dynamics as such, is overall volume control. Too few drummers can find it within themselves to keep the beat, play artistically and do so at a controlled volume. Many times you think the drummer is being 'too busy' because he/she is just too loud.

• Members

I agree with Guido, but consider the following too.

They should have dependable transportation, prompt, no alcohol or narcotics issues, emotionally stable, team player, serious and fun-loving at the appropriate time. Good luck!

• Members
I agree with Guido, but consider the following too.

They should have dependable transportation, prompt, no alcohol or narcotics issues, emotionally stable, team player, serious and fun-loving at the appropriate time. Good luck!

An emotionally stable drummer...they exist?

• Members

Oh and drumsticks. Make sure they bring drumsticks. I actually had one potential drummer show up without drumsticks. Fortunately, in addition to production, I also have enough personal back line to outfit a couple of bands (not meeting riders anytime soon) and had a stick bag handy. There were plenty of other issues/reasons, If that alone weren't enough of a reason to not pass the audition.

• Members

django rhinehardt showed up to play a concert opening for segovia without a guitar... drunk... so drunk they handed him a guitar after sitting him on a stool on stage... borrowed guitar, drunk,off his kiester and he proceeded to perform a piece so beautiful that after he finished playing, segovia ran up to django, pulling on his own hair demanding to know what that piece of music was? where did it come from? django replied, " dont know, i just made up...". smiled,and handed back the borrowed guitar...

just saying, one cant add water to a glass thats already full...

• Members
Oh and drumsticks. Make sure they bring drumsticks. I actually had one potential drummer show up without drumsticks. Fortunately' date=' in addition to production, I also have enough personal back line to outfit a couple of bands (not meeting riders anytime soon) and had a stick bag handy. There were plenty of other issues/reasons, If that alone weren't enough of a reason to not pass the audition.[/quote']

I can top that: Make sure they bring a drum KIT.

Our guitarist has a little, old, entry level electronic pad kit that he usually brings over to my house for rehearsal so we can keep volume low, but it's really not good for much else besides keeping a beat. Crappy sounds, no touch-sensitivity, etc.

So we agree to audition a guy who knew we usually had this kit at rehearsal and then he shows up to audition WITH NO KIT.

#1: my first thought was "seriously? You thought we'd want to audition you on THAT kit? Obviously we'd want to hear you on your own drums."

#2: the guitarist didn't even bother to bring his pad kit because of #1.

So that was pretty much that audition.....

• Members

Obviously we'd want to hear you on your own drums."

Not in my experience.

Let's start with the observation that many, if not most, rehearsals take place at the drummer's house because his setup/teardown takes the most time and effort.

A lot of guys - like me - own a set of drums just so they can host auditions, rehearsals, jams, etc. All the drummers I've auditioned used my set.

Yes, he should have asked what was there, but you should have made things clear without him having to ask.

Archived