Help me Decide!!!

burton4snow

• Members

Bogner will likely have a better resale price, but to be truthful, spending 1000+ on amps rated 3W or even 18W is ridiculously high priced for any amp when you consider the components to build them cost maybe $200 tops. I can do "Way" better buying some cool vintage amp myself, but I'm a tech who can repair and refurbish anything I buy. Its your money so you'll have to make the call.

• Members

Here is a little more info about what I am looking for. I play mostly blues, blues rock and a little punk (old school and modern) and Hard Rock Zep, AC/DC, Aerosmith, ZZTop etc. A sound I Am really looking for an amp to do good is that edge of breakup sound. Reviews have said the Bogner does that well that and that's why I am interested in it. The other gain channels are just icing on the cake. But if the Raleigh does that and does better than the Bogner then I will probable go for that. Also I want articulation on the gain channel instead of it being muddy. I know they seem like different amps but they both seem like they would get me in the spectrum of sound I'm looking for.

• Members
Bogner will likely have a better resale price' date=' but to be truthful, spending 1000+ on amps rated 3W or even 18W is ridiculously high priced for any amp when you consider the components to build them cost maybe $200 tops. I can do "Way" better buying some cool vintage amp myself, but I'm a tech who can repair and refurbish anything I buy. Its your money so you'll have to make the call.[/quote']

My ears are not so good anymore so I'm need something low volume but I also want good tone. I have tried lower price amps, Tweaker, Blackstar, Peavey Mini s etc. but nothing sounds great just OK. What would you suggest?

• Members

Unless you're using the same pickups and guitar as the guys in those videos, you wont get the same tones they do so you have to take that into consideration when you judge amps on video's like that.

My suggestion would be to go to a music store with your guitar and actually try amps out if you're planning on spending that much. You can always shop around for pricing after that but at least you will know you get the tones you want, with your guitar.

Like I said, I'm a bit partial to Bogner over the other. My buddy used one in a local blues band so I was able to hear it out in the audience and played through it on stage. It was a much louder 100W combo however.

For a small amp I'd likely try and find something like a and Epi Jr and mod it up a bit. . I get most of my tones from the guitars, Pickups and Stomp boxes so I can get the tones I need from just about any amp that has a decent range of tone.

The speaker is a big item too. If you did buy a head you still need a quality speaker and cab to get the best from that head.

• Members

You can get a Fender Pro Junior it doesn't have all the bell and whistles that the Boutique amps have but it has the Great tone and you can go from clean to sustaining by just turning up and down your volume on your Guitar ( I know this is a lost art because of channel switching ). Its 15 Watts takes pedal well and only 20 Lb. and can be had for $200 + ( Used ) to new for around $400.I've used them Live and in the studio to great response. The only down side is the original speaker isn't the best but put a P10R Alnico speaker in it and your golden.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • Members

I have the Bogner Atma. Mine is the wood box, not the aluminum. I never played through the Carr, but this amp does all I need. At the 5 watt setting for rehearsal keeps up with the drummer with no problem. 18 watts has that nice creamy sound. I keep it at the 70 setting, but i do use the 80 setting for heavier stuff. Playing through 2 X 12's makes it nice and thick too. I mostly use the 1X12 for rehearsal though. Glad i bought this.

Archived