"Feel Right" by Mark Ronson: anybody playing it"

• Members

Our lead singer wants to learn "Feel Right" by Mark Ronson. We are a guitar, bass, drums, and singer band, so I have to cover the horn parts, and whatever weird chords/voicing that turns out to be, on one guitar. If anyone here is playing this song please give me a clue on what the opening chords would be, and how best to make that sound good with just one guitar. Thanks!

• Members

This is an old school James Brown kind of groove, complete with 9th chords. I suspect the drum/bass groove will be what makes this song sink or swim. How do they feel about their parts?

This is another topic, perhaps, but is it commonplace at rehearsals to ask just a couple guys to play their parts, as opposed to always playing with everyone? Years ago, I asked the guitar player and drummer to play something and got a lot of resistance.

It's not like the guitar chair would have to work for hours to get the song right, but especially if it did, I'd want some indication that the drums and bass could cover this song before I took it on.

• Members

This is another topic, perhaps, but is it commonplace at rehearsals to ask just a couple guys to play their parts, as opposed to always playing with everyone?.

​Sure. If there's a particular groove or something that needs to be worked out? We might spend some time allowing the bass player and drummer to go over their parts together and the rest of us go grab a beer or something so they can lock it up. That's not a big deal.

Archived