What has Facebook done for your musical life lately?

• Members
"one of those people"??? Geez, Ernest, you never struck me as the "othering" type. I'll assume you didn't mean that the way it reads.

Not sure how you read it. I was just saying that I was one of those people who was talking about FB and liked it over a forum.

Someone else mentioned FB being addictive... it is. Content is constantly coming up so I try to limit my time online. Due to work, I have to use email but I try to limit my FB to a few mins in the morning and at night or else.

The politics can get out of hand and I admit, I`m one of those people who uses my page to post political commentary. If you don`t want to see it, you can unfollow. I also use it to post some music stuff... mostly live stuff these days or short 15-30 seconds videos of me in the studio tracking. Aside from that, I`m not using it for much else but again, I do find FB a lot more interesting than forums.

Lastly, I`ll just say that I do feel forums will eventually go the way of the dinosaur because forums are like the newspaper... yesterdays news. Social media apps that have content at your fingertips and are constantly being updated make this sort of communication archaic. Here it is, Tuesday morning, 8:30a EST and I`m on my laptop. Most likely I will not be checking back in till tomorrow morning when I`m on my laptop. If this was phone-app friendly, I could check it as people post.

• Members

Well, online forums -- the oldest form of online social media -- have tended to resist change in large part because users tend to resist change. (And look a how even changes that seem minor to many at FB generate complaints and anxiety.)

Still, many have adopted more modern features like 'my participated threads' and other features generated just for the user.

Those of us who were fairly involved with the old Mp3.com in the late 1990's, probably remember that the main forum there was for several years one of the most visited 'pages' on the web. Now, for sure, a lot of that was generated by self-promo, but there was a lot of actual discussion and social interaction. I still have online friends from those days. (In fact, Ernest, am I not mistaken that you participated there? You must have been a kid, if so. ;) )

• Members

The suggestions and comments have been helpful. I have found a few FB pages of interest. It does take a ton more scrolling around through the litter-pile of posts to glean a bit of gold here and there. But there's some good stuff.

But I'm still a big fan of the simple BBS Thread format. Having threads as the starting points for posting brings a focus to the interaction. The social media format of free-form posting in what is basically one endless thread results in a much more chaotic experience.

So I find the FB format good for some things, but not a replacement at all for the BBS format. The BBS format promotes more in-depth discussion that is topic-based, while the FB/Social format promotes a more real-time scroll of pretty random feeling "news".

Of course, lots, if not most, people migrate to new platforms just because everyone else seems to migrating to some new platform, and there's something of an assumption that what is the newest thing is the most progressive or cutting-edge thing. A big assumption.

Well, it will all evolve apart from my opinions and preferences, that's the certain thing. And what's old can become new again - especially since the computer and internet technology has matured to the extent it has, and much is made of very little in terms of real innovation. Mobile access and social media are of course, the items of current obsession - but this phase will run it's course, too. Maybe the industry will abandon it's headlong drive towards increasingly instant-and-yet-more-shallow content proliferation.

So I still like the depth and stability of the BBS format. I can see it being abandoned, but so far, nothing to really replace it in terms of quality.

nat whilk ii

• Members
Well, online forums -- the oldest form of online social media -- have tended to resist change in large part because users tend to resist change. (And look a how even changes that seem minor to many at FB generate complaints and anxiety.)

Still, many have adopted more modern features like 'my participated threads' and other features generated just for the user.

Those of us who were fairly involved with the old Mp3.com in the late 1990's, probably remember that the main forum there was for several years one of the most visited 'pages' on the web. Now, for sure, a lot of that was generated by self-promo, but there was a lot of actual discussion and social interaction. I still have online friends from those days. (In fact, Ernest, am I not mistaken that you participated there? You must have been a kid, if so. ;) )

TK, I believe my first forum the Mackie d8b forum which is gone now. I spent a lot of time there when I first got online and then moved over to MP. Is that what you`re referring to?

I do not belong to too many forums because I cannot keep track of everything but I have always enjoyed the forum members here in Craigs SSS. Unfortunately many have left but my favorites are still here. It would be nice to get more involvement from everyone on more topics but again, I think the convenience of FB is simply too much for a forum to compete with.

With that said, I obviously post here and over on GS. But thats about it.

• Members
The suggestions and comments have been helpful. I have found a few FB pages of interest. It does take a ton more scrolling around through the litter-pile of posts to glean a bit of gold here and there. But there's some good stuff.

But I'm still a big fan of the simple BBS Thread format. Having threads as the starting points for posting brings a focus to the interaction. The social media format of free-form posting in what is basically one endless thread results in a much more chaotic experience.

So I find the FB format good for some things, but not a replacement at all for the BBS format. The BBS format promotes more in-depth discussion that is topic-based, while the FB/Social format promotes a more real-time scroll of pretty random feeling "news".

Of course, lots, if not most, people migrate to new platforms just because everyone else seems to migrating to some new platform, and there's something of an assumption that what is the newest thing is the most progressive or cutting-edge thing. A big assumption.

Well, it will all evolve apart from my opinions and preferences, that's the certain thing. And what's old can become new again - especially since the computer and internet technology has matured to the extent it has, and much is made of very little in terms of real innovation. Mobile access and social media are of course, the items of current obsession - but this phase will run it's course, too. Maybe the industry will abandon it's headlong drive towards increasingly instant-and-yet-more-shallow content proliferation.

So I still like the depth and stability of the BBS format. I can see it being abandoned, but so far, nothing to really replace it in terms of quality.

nat whilk ii

Two things:

1) Customize FB as much as you can to only see what you want to see on your news feed. In the upper right hand of any post, you can choose to see more/less from that poster or completely hide that ad/poster. You`ll enjoy it more!

2) I agree with you about forums being a lot more deeper and thorough content. FB cannot compete with a forum in that extent but my argument is that there are so many articles and videos on YT on just about any subject that people are not asking the rudimentary questions anymore in forums. They are simply googling their question and going straight to a written/video tutorial.

• Members

Myself, I use FB as another outlet to allow FB-people to find and follow my activities. I have other ways, also...not everyone likes FB..and thats ok,imho. These days a musician has to "all of the above" to reach people. FB is ok for people 30-55,imho,

• Members

Two things:

1) Customize FB as much as you can to only see what you want to see on your news feed. In the upper right hand of any post, you can choose to see more/less from that poster or completely hide that ad/poster. You`ll enjoy it more!

2) I agree with you about forums being a lot more deeper and thorough content. FB cannot compete with a forum in that extent but my argument is that there are so many articles and videos on YT on just about any subject that people are not asking the rudimentary questions anymore in forums. They are simply googling their question and going straight to a written/video tutorial.

Yes, my son has been telling me about ways to customize FB - good idea, but - I never had to customize HC, did I? Just sayin'...

I go to YT a lot. An amazing resource - but again, there's just so much trash and relatively little treasure.

That's the problem with the non-hierarchical, gatekeeperless way of approaching a subject. Not only do I have to self-teach myself about, say, how to use EQ and compression in my little home-gro studio, but I also have to teach myself how to acquire reliable knowledge in the vast unsorted library that is the internet with no mentors or gurus or profs upon whose shoulders I can stand.

HC has it's authoritative voices - we know who they are. And all the newbies and middlingbies and oldbies and crankbies, too - what's cool is in this mix, you get to interact in content-rich contexts, with true authorities no matter what level you're at in the great game of World Of Music-Craft.

I'd rather have this kind of interaction any day than the navigate-it-yourself or instant-sketchy-answer world that you find in other formats. The highest achievement IMHO in HC, where the experts and the hoi polloi mix it up, is in the Pro Reviews. There really is nothing anywhere I've found as thoroughly educational and successfully interactive as the Pro Reviews.

Even having said all that, I'm still admitting I'm finding in FB a significant amount of interesting stuff -more than I thought I would. And I have more work to do learning how to exploit it.

Thx for all the feedback -

nat whilk ii

• Members

on facebook i recently rediscovered Guitar World as a great source of information. as regular reader in the 90s i stopped buying it with the internet and e.g. HC.

i do not like the mass on facebook cause than you get bombed with tooo much information in too short time. so i have some selected sources

guitar world is now one of them and they post 5-10 articles a day, which ara lessons, tips and tricks, some new gear, artist info etc.

not everything is worth to read for me, but a lot is of my interest...

i learned some new finger practice patterns and i now try to practice daily, e.g. :)

intersting for me, i like to read an 2-3 pages more, then to watch a 5-10 minutes video. even if the reading takes me more time, i often think ok the video lasts too long i have no time for this now... :)

• Members

Yes, my son has been telling me about ways to customize FB - good idea, but - I never had to customize HC, did I? Just sayin'...

I go to YT a lot. An amazing resource - but again, there's just so much trash and relatively little treasure.

That's the problem with the non-hierarchical, gatekeeperless way of approaching a subject. Not only do I have to self-teach myself about, say, how to use EQ and compression in my little home-gro studio, but I also have to teach myself how to acquire reliable knowledge in the vast unsorted library that is the internet with no mentors or gurus or profs upon whose shoulders I can stand.

HC has it's authoritative voices - we know who they are. And all the newbies and middlingbies and oldbies and crankbies, too - what's cool is in this mix, you get to interact in content-rich contexts, with true authorities no matter what level you're at in the great game of World Of Music-Craft.

I'd rather have this kind of interaction any day than the navigate-it-yourself or instant-sketchy-answer world that you find in other formats. The highest achievement IMHO in HC, where the experts and the hoi polloi mix it up, is in the Pro Reviews. There really is nothing anywhere I've found as thoroughly educational and successfully interactive as the Pro Reviews.

Even having said all that, I'm still admitting I'm finding in FB a significant amount of interesting stuff -more than I thought I would. And I have more work to do learning how to exploit it.

Thx for all the feedback -

nat whilk ii

As long as theres Internet, theres going to be clutter. HC has plenty of nonsense threads but not much of late because not too many people are participating and most threads are started by the mods. Back in the day of SSS there were plenty of nonsensical threads and I remember Craig constantly talking about letting the forum do its thing, as in, he was not going to regulate topics, as long as they didn`t get too political. Anyway, FB allows you to also save posts which I do a lot and then a day like today where I catch up, I go to my saved pages and check them all out. Another useful FB feature.

YT is an incredible resource with lots of clutter but it also has tons of user and pro reviews, and plenty of tutorials which I have watched numbers times for various pieces of software. I really think HC would hit a home run if they did short 5-10 minute videos of reviews and tutorials. They can have their own Harmony Central channel with links back to this site.

The #s don`t lie so YT and FB are definitely happening spots so HC should build their presence on those channels and then link the crowd back to here. Just my opinion.

EB

• Members

For my musical career, Facebook has done virtually nothing.

TYPICAL FACEBOOK SCENARIO:

"About to rehearse with my band for Friday's gig at [relatively well-known venue]"

[PIC OF BAND PRACTICING]

72 Likes, 4 comments

A few days later:

"My band will be playing Friday night at [relatively well-known venue] at [time], come check us out"

[PIC OF GIG FLYER]

34 likes, 6 comments

Maybe half a dozen or so FB friends attend the show.

The day after the gig:

"Here's my band doing our rendition of [some relatively popular tune] on Friday night at [relatively well-known venue]"

[LINK TO YOUTUBE VIDEO OF PERFORMANCE]

12 likes, 1 comment

YouTube video state: 5 views, 1 Like

I'm either not playing this social media thing correctly, or I just have REAL bad luck with FB algorithms. So, in a nutshell, more people are excited about the idea of my band playing than actually interested in seeing me play, and even less people are interested in watching an actual video of the performance (taking into account the people who would have wanted to see the show, but couldn't make it for whatever reason). I don't mind people not liking my music. In fact, I'd rather you hear my music and let me know you think it sucks than just ignoring it outright. But even if people didn't like the music, they would at least register a view on the YouTube counter.

{censored} social media. Or maybe I have to be a cute little millennial chick singing I-V-vi-IV cover songs on a ukelele or something for people to be interested...

Archived