Marshall 50th Anniversary 1 Watters

burton4snow

• Members

Anybody have any experience with these? I have checked out the You Tube videos were they compare them but still can't decide which one sounds best. I am a fan of late 60s early 70s Marshall sound, but in the videos the JMP-1 sounds so shrill out of all of them. Which one do you think sound the best? I kinda wanna buy one just to say I own a real Marshall and I play in a bedroom situation so I like the low wattage.

I'd probably pick the JCM as my favorite, although the DSL and JVM are probably a bit more versatile. I think the 1 watt amps were a cool idea, and I wish Marshall kept them in the line instead of doing limited editions of them for the 50th anniversary, but I do think they're a bit over-priced for what you're getting. A used Marshall Class 5 or a new Marshall DSL5 seems a lot more reasonably priced if you're in the market for a small, low wattage all-tube Marshall amp for bedroom practice and recording.

• Members

The speaker I have on my work computer isn't very good so it sounds like the same old thing to me. I can get those same tones with either of my Marshall amps or one of my Marshall Governor pedals. For $700+ I'll pass on those buggers. Given the size and wattage those amps probably cost them $50~$100 max to build them. I can see them selling for maybe $200 max but a 600~1300% markup spells pure greed in my book. They'll probably have allot of people buying them too. Just not me.

• Members

Those 50 Anniversary Marshall were kind of pricey.

I have purchased only 2 Marshall amps in my lifetime. a JCM 800 model 4104 which is a 2x12 50 watt combo and a Marshall Class 5 ( second generation).

I still have both amps

The Class 5 is a bit on the dark side, but I pretty much put the bass down to zero, and it's not so dark. I believe BillM audio has a mod for this amp. There's a switch on the class 5 that takes it down to 1 watt. I heard the first generation that cab was prone to rattling.

It is a one trick pony, but what it does it does well.

Before I 'd go looking for a 50 Anniversary 1 watt Marshall I look at the Dr Z Mini Z. Now if I was a collector. I'd grab one each of those Marshall. Dr Z makes a Maz 8, but I own a Maz 18 combo with reverb and with the optional eq bypass.

• Members

i was able to play the combo version of either the jcm1 or was it the jtm145 or both i can't remember. and the small speaker on the combo sounded farty.

and they are $700 or more, you can get much more amp for this money

i loved the idea, but without 1x12 cab they will not sound as good as they could and for that price i pass...

• Members

The Blackstar HT-1 is half the price.

I don't know about the Marshall but the HT-1 uses a 12AU7 triode (usually used in pre-amp circuits) as a push-pull output stage.

I actually used an HT-1 at a gig that included a drummer. Of course, I used the PA and the foldback to be heard effectively but it worked.

• Members
Here's the secret with Marshall limited editions.. wait six months ago buy on clearance from Musician's Friend/GC/Sweetwater. :-)

Sound amazing? Almost always!

Priced to establish exclusivity? Oh yeah!

sm-tied

how much did they went down from the initial ~ $750???

$50?

even if they go 30% off they are still a very expensive

• Members

how much did they went down from the initial ~ $750???

$50?

even if they go 30% off they are still a very expensive

Absolutely, but then you stack on a 15% discount code (that you can only redeem over the phone), and they are only "expensive" :-) Not saying they're worth it (they aren't, to me).

• Members
Here's the secret with Marshall limited editions.. wait six months ago buy on clearance from Musician's Friend/GC/Sweetwater. :-)

Sound amazing? Almost always!

Priced to establish exclusivity? Oh yeah!

sm-tied

I did that with my Gibson Goldtone Les Paul Jr amp 5 watter.

$275 to my house.

I love that one knob amp

Archived