Birth Year Guitars

gardo

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was born in '62, so there's tons of reissues that line up with my birth year.

I have the birth year guitar to beat all birth year guitars. I've mentioned it a few times before, but if I told you about it here in this thread you wouldn't believe me. Not only the year, but the serial number matches my birthday... :o

• Members
I was born in '62' date=' so there's tons of reissues that line up with my birth year.[/b']

I have the birth year guitar to beat all birth year guitars. I've mentioned it a few times before, but if I told you about it here in this thread you wouldn't believe me. Not only the year, but the serial number matches my birthday... :o

:wave: Another 1962 model here

I have a 62 Tele RI that's kind of like my go too electric.

It was MIJ and I think I bought it in 1985.

My wife was born in 58 and her parents should have bought her a flame topper LP when she was born. I told her she would have been in a good spot with that purchase.

Oh yeah i have a 62 Strat RI too, but I don't play it very often. Screwed up the back leaving a leather strap on it for too long. Otherwise it's perfect.

• Members

When I was in my late twenties, a friend of mine showed up at my door with a 1954 Stratocaster that he had just purchased for $1600. He informed me that it had been advertised in the newspaper a few months earlier for $600. I saw the ad in the paper (it did not specify the year) but I had two strats at the time so I didn't bother to investigate.

I, along with SRV, was born with the Stratocaster in 1954 and I don't believe it's a coincidence that I have been playing them since Hendrix was around.

The problem is those '50s strats that are as old as me are prohibitively expensive now.

:wave: Another 1962 model here

:philthumb:

I have a 62 Tele RI that's kind of like my go too electric.

It was MIJ and I think I bought it in 1985.

Pics?

Is it one of the double-bound ones? I traded in a incredibly good '73 Tele that needed a refret for a new MIJ '62 Custom Telecaster around 1985. That Custom Tele was the prettiest Tele I've ever owned, and it had the most amazingly comfy and thin neck, but it sounded super-weak. I tried new Duncan pickups, a new bridge with brass saddles... nothing worked. Eventually (after ruling out pretty much everything else via trial and error and substitution) I chalked it up to the super light weight and non-resonant basswood body. I ended up getting rid of it, although I recently used some of the old parts off of it for a partscaster Tele that I built around a MIM CAR alder body and a used '85 MIJ Custom Tele neck. That's my main Tele now. I would LOVE to find a double bound alder Tele body to replace the MIM body. Candy Apple red of course. :) I check ebay and reverb for one every so often. Eventually I'll find the right one at the right price.

My wife was born in 58 and her parents should have bought her a flame topper LP when she was born. I told her she would have been in a good spot with that purchase.

My uncle was born in '58. It would have been a great purchase!

• Members

Some day I'll hand this one down to my son, who's an '83. He doesn't fall for the lure of "mass guitars" as much as I've been driven, so I'm in no hurry to hand him another and receive that bit of "where am I going to keep it?" concern, but I'll let him know someday that it will be his after I kick or when I'm too old to appreciate it myself.

1983 Les Paul Studio/Standard - Custom Shop Edition

Lester65.jpg

But for myself, I sure couldn't afford a '57 LP or Strat, so I'd have to look for some offshoot model. But if I found a 1957 Gibson ES-125TCD with a Bigsby for a fair price, temptation might get the best of me.

But for myself, I sure couldn't afford a '57 LP or Strat, so I'd have to look for some offshoot model. But if I found a 1957 Gibson ES-125TCD with a Bigsby for a fair price, temptation might get the best of me.

There's always other models that you might consider... While I wouldn't call them inexpensive, a '57 Les Paul Junior can be a great guitar and would cost considerably less than a '57 Standard or Strat.

• Members

There's always other models that you might consider... While I wouldn't call them inexpensive, a '57 Les Paul Junior can be a great guitar and would cost considerably less than a '57 Standard or Strat.

Thanks. I'm a bit heavy already though in more modern "Juniors". I've got a 2004 Jr and a 2003 Jr Special (P-100s), plus a couple Custom Shop 1960 RI LP Specials, so I'd have to look for another model, or sell off the newer RIs.

But I do have one bit of gear that is from my birth year! It's a 1957 quarter (i.e. 25 cent piece) that is fashioned into a guitar pick! :D

I ordered it on-line sometime ago. The guy finds the coin from your birth year, shapes one side to a rounded tip, and then sends it to you in a little felt bag. Of course, since it's a "vintage pick", I'm saving it. :lol:

• Members
Not looking to get a guitar from my birth year, but this 53 Goldtop sure is nice.

fetch?id=31731762&d=1462246392&type=full

A guy I went to school with was given one of those when he was nine years old. His father was a working musician and when my friend showed an aptitude for guitar he was given the right tools.

I'm not discounting my friend's natural musical talent at all. He went on to become a very successful guitarist, singer and songwriter. When The Beatles "Abbey Road" album came out, I was trying to learn the guitar parts on my father's old archtop while my friend was playing "She's So Heavy" with his trio at school dances. He was also playing and singing most of Hendrix' repertoire as the albums were being released.

The point I am trying to make is that the instrument never slowed him down. While the rest of us were struggling with high action and poor intonation he was developing the subtleties associated with playing a fine instrument.

There is alo a very good possibility that my friend's goldtop is a "birth year guitar" for him.

• Members

I'm a '74 and I've always wanted something from my birth year. The obvious choice would be a '74 Gibson Les Paul Custom in white, ala Randy... I'd love a Strat, but a '74 Strat is one of those 3 bolt years. I'll pass on that.

• 1 month later...

Archived