$2000 Budget for Amp

burton4snow

• Members

I have a $2000 tax return and I am being irresponsible and blowing it on an amp. It could be a Head or a Combo. If it is a head I will be running through different 1x12 cabs with Vintage 30, WGS Veteran 30, and WGS Green Beret (Greenback). I play Blues, Blues Rock, Rock. I need something that will sound good at talking level- no high watt monsters. This is being use in my 18x18ft den. All kinds of different guitars will be used through it. Any opinions?

• Members

The amp you've been waiting for.

Finding the perfect tone is a journey- searching for boutique pedals, making custom cables, swapping out speakers, experimenting with different tubes- each step a discovery that leads down a new creative path. With THR amp heads, Yamaha has designed innovative, flexible amplifiers that will play an integral role in your sonic journey to find that perfect sound.

• Members
I have a $2000 tax return and I am being irresponsible and blowing it on an amp. It could be a Head or a Combo. If it is a head I will be running through different 1x12 cabs with Vintage 30' date=' WGS Veteran 30, and WGS Green Beret (Greenback). I play Blues, Blues Rock, Rock. I need something that will sound good at talking level- no high watt monsters. This is being use in my 18x18ft den. All kinds of different guitars will be used through it. Any opinions? [/quote']

More like you are trying to stimulate the economy with a nice amp purchase. :D

Think positive guy, think positive.

Amps are as diverse as almost the number of amps that are out there.

What do you already have for amps?

I have many stuff I dig, including a Dr Z maz 18 with reverb and the eq bypass mod, I have Marshall's and Fenders and Mesa amps.

Some amps are one trick ponies, some will do more, but not necessarily better.

What might be on my list is a new Supro Tremloverb

[video=youtube;oMcw79K2tDI]

i find this sweet.

[video=youtube;81G9XWXrgBw]

[video=youtube;DBR8k8f6ucU]

I like this too

[video=youtube;BhR01GgxQak]

check this video out, on Carr amps

[video=youtube;gOLWkgUkb_M]

[video=youtube;SEoYfm03eHc]

[h=1][/h]

Mesa makes a nice lower wattage Mark V

[video=youtube;g2l9kv8bGD8]

Do you home work, take your time and see what you love.

• Members

I been wanting to replace my Marshall 50W Plexi since it was stolen back in the early 80's.

I have allot of amps at the moment including a Marshall Valvestate 100, Blackface Bassman, Music Man, Sunn Concert Lead and others.

The Plexi 50 is the perfect gigging amp. Its not as loud as the 100 (which is overkill for just about everything) and it hits that perfect edge and breakup for a normal club band.

Its absolutely no frills of course. Just a clean and normal channel. Doesn't have a master volume or effects loop. Just clean Marshall tone up to about 1/2 way up then it drives above that.

The only other amps I'd like to have would be the Tweed Bassman Reissue, Vox AC30 or Marshall DSL40C Limited Edition.

The Tweed Bassman is a great combo and is one of the best stage amps I heard doing sound for other bands. My buddy had an original

one he used for years with a Tele and its really sounded good. I haven't heard the DSL40C but it would be a great option for a smaller 45W tube amp. I wouldn't mind having an AC30 either. They have a unique sound and even though its only 30w its got nice saturation when you push it hard.

• Members

I like the Bassman too, the RI Bass is very nice. The Vox company is weird and is kind of long go from what it once was. You play a lot of money for one of there new made in Vietnam AC30's.. I have seen Wilco many times and even Jeff Tweedy has stopped using them on tour and now plays a Morgan AC's. Morgan has a AC 40 with a 1/2 power switch, but not many options other than power level and volume, plus a cut knob. Not a bad tone to be found in them.

Sold at both MF and Sweetwater, so if you hated it you could return in no questions asked.

[video=youtube;QNLOBeR-sKE]

[video=youtube;5QFdpcHntj0]

If you like Vintage Fender amps there a company called Vintage Sound that makes a very nice sounding amp the old way. I 'd give them a call first. The options can and do ad up. Can't beat a Victoria either for that old Fender vibe.

[video=youtube;2RcHZQ0LHNc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RcHZQ0LHNc

• Members

I asked this same question awhile back and one suggestion was a Supro. I checked them out and settled on the 1624T and can't say enough about it, HOWEVER..................it doesn't really have a "clean" channel like a Fender. It has two channels but both have a bite to them.

Archived