p.a. problem, blowing fuses all of a sudden

• Members

I have two self powered harbinger aps15 speakers. Been using them with great results for about three years. Other day I blew the fuse on one. Bought a five pack of fuses and so far every time I put one in and turn it on it instantly blows the fuse. Three so far. Not sure if I bought a close but not exact fuse or if there is something indeed wrong with the amp. Before taking it in for repair is there something I can trouble shoot?

I have two self powered harbinger aps15 speakers. Been using them with great results for about three years. Other day I blew the fuse on one. Bought a five pack of fuses and so far every time I put one in and turn it on it instantly blows the fuse. Three so far. Not sure if I bought a close but not exact fuse or if there is something indeed wrong with the amp. Before taking it in for repair is there something I can trouble shoot?

Check the back of the amp again and make sure you have the EXACT type of fuse it calls for. If not, go get the right ones. It's CRUCIAL that you carefully check and only replace fuses with new ones of the exact same type / rating. If you are using the right ones, the amp in the unit needs to be serviced.

If you have fast blow fuses and it calls for slow blow, or if it needs a 3A fuse and you have a 1.5A fuse, it will blow as soon as you turn the power on... but if it calls for a 2A slo-blow, and you have that in there and it's blowing anyway, something is fried - you can feed it new fuses forever and they'll all blow until the problem is fixed.

• Moderators

The first (or maybe second) thing you want to do is LOOK at the blown fuse. If there's splatter inside the glass, or blackening, odds are you have a strong short and it doesn't matter if you use a fast fuse or a slo-blo fuse. A fuse that is blown from a slight overload just has a broken wire inside, sometimes you can't even tell by looking until you tap the housing.

Terry D.

Archived