I have a contender for "Most Dangerous Flown Speaker"

• Members

I submit this from a dance event I attended last weekend. The bolts on that 801P stick out about 5 inches from the side of the sub. This is about 20' above the floor where 200-300 people were dancing. I did not go anywhere near them.

IMAG0407.jpg

• Members

The one on the left looks to be a powered Mackie of some sort flown by eye bolts in the side and aircraft wire slung over the ceiling beam.

Scary part is that this is at a really large and popular venue about 45 mins south of here.

• Members

Please tell us that they were at least forged eyebolts . . . I have seen places that used hardware store spec eye bolts and screws. Mark C.

EDIT: Upon zooming in, it looks like bright zinc grade 2 hardware on the sub. I like the use of snap links in lieu of shackles, too. On the Mackie, no shackles either, but at least they used thimbles on the wire rope. And if you aren't sure of the right way to install cable clamps, do 'em both ways, randomly. Yikes.

• Members

heres the guys installing it

forkliftsafety.jpg

they used to work for "Great White"

And then they moved some beer:

forklift1.jpg

And after putting the spilled beer to good use, they got serious about the whole forklift thing:

oops-6122-1235519856-7.jpg

And then things got a little out of hand:

http://www.voshy.com/videos/view.php?id=forklift-accident_6gqt5

not to be outdone:

• Members

heres the guys installing it

forkliftsafety.jpg

they used to work for "Great White"

Its hard to tell but the cartons on the left are your favorite speakers your about ready to purchase.

When the fork lift falls on them they will be sold to you in a "scratch and dent" sale.

• Members

There is a skating rink here with no less than six SP1Gs hanging from the ceiling by a combination of eyebolts threaded into the cabs and wires through the handles. Local codes enforcement did nothing as, apparently, the codes preventing such were enacted after they were hung. I am so glad FL is not a seismically active area!

• Members

WOw. just wow.

I used to work for a show here in Vegas that had EV Eliminators hung by hardware-store eyebolts.. The sub was mounted in the center, right above the lead singer's head. It wasn't until it died and we had to get it down that he realized how much trouble he would have been in if it fell (and the eyebolts were nicely bent from hanging for years...) the replacement sub went on the floor, tucked under some stairs, which helped the band hear the low end, coupled the cab to the floor (for better sound/efficiency) and it was a better match to the amp than the original (replaced an EV Force sub rated at 350 watts RMS with a JBL MXR single 18, and moved it to an amp that put out 500 watts RMS at 4 Ohms instead of the amp that was powering the EV which was rated at 600 watts RMS at 8 Ohms, so the sub was just a recipe for disaster... )

I've helped consult at a couple of churches, and always made sure that if they are going to hang anything it is a box that was meant to be hung, and there is a pair of safety cables strapped in somehow... I'd hate to think that anything I hung caused an injury or liability..

Archived