George Martin Dies at 90

• Members

The man did amazing thing with those Beatles recordings. It was kind of an odd relationship too. He was what I'd call a proper conservative type house engineer who was given the job or recording a street wise band who cut their teeth on the whole German rock scene. I give him high credits for his methodology. If the band had gotten another engineer he may have forced the band to conform to the establishments ideas of what constituted good recordings. Instead, he listened to what the band had to offer, then he developed new ways of bringing out their best artistic talents.

I'm sure he also had an affect on the band too. He was part of their conservative makeover and when you spend allot of time working together what rubs off goes both ways. The Beatles were always asking him for new ways of doing things and he was responsible for many of those classical instrument additions that moved them from being a garage band to world class artists.

Rest in peace George, you did a wonderful job and left us works that will be admired for centuries to come.

I like this picture from the link you posted. It says a lot about what I believed their relationship to be.

Paul_GeorgeMartin_MainNews.jpg

It's also interesting to note the contrast in shirts.

It's a great picture, isn't it? I think you're on the right track insofar as their relationship. I think Macca was probably closest to him of all the Beatles, and had the greatest appreciation for what he did, and the most curiosity about it all. Paul's own considerable production abilities were no doubt developed and shaped by his time working with George.

• Members

Paul brought the goods too. He gave George some great material to work with and could really deliver as a performer. Imagine having that kind of talent to work with - and then there was the rest of the band.

Some people are just in the right place at the right time with the right amount of talent, skill, experience and connections.

Paul brought the goods too. He gave George some great material to work with and could really deliver as a performer. Imagine having that kind of talent to work with - and then there was the rest of the band.

Some people are just in the right place at the right time with the right amount of talent, skill, experience and connections.

Paul definitely brought the goods, as did the rest of the band. Not to take anything away from SGM, but I've always said that the better the songs and band are, the better I look. It makes the producer's and the engineer's job much easier when you're working with top flight talent.

Archived