Sub Toughts

• Members

I have a high profile client that wants my duo to play a couple of parties and also do some dj'ing for dancing. I explained to him that I am not a DJ but if he gives me a list of songs, I would have a DJ friend prepare the songs and load it into my iPod so I could play for him. He agreed.

I am currently using two RCF 312's for the acoustic music and wanted to add a little bottom for the electronic music, would a single one of these work? Should I go higher wattage? Any other ideas?

JBL PRX518S Powered PA Subwoofer - 18 Inch, 500 Watts

I will only be buying one and looking to cover 50 to 100 people at the most.

Any ideas are appreciated!

Rod

• Members

I have but this will be at least two gigs with this guy alone and I have been doing more and more corporate gigs were we play during the cocktail hour and through dinner and then just electronic music for the rest of the night for drunk people "dancing" so I guess I can justify the expense somewhat.

We have also added some percussion from time to time and this may help with that as well.

Rod

• Members

I'm assuming that you're looking at the PRX518 because you can pick them up for around $600 these days from retailers who still have them hanging around. I believe they have been replaced with the PRX618.

It certainly isn't a stellar performer but if your DJ duties are for folks over 40 it may suffice.

Two would be better. Here's a guy in your area selling two, and if his description is accurate they are for all intents and purposes new:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/msg/2824049480.html

• Members

They are selling new for around $650 so it looks like a good deal but I am open to ideas in the sub-1K area if anyone wants to share.

I would rather buy new since every "like new" piece of gear I have seen so far in the North Jersey/NYC area are anything but...especially a powered box.

Rod

• Members

, would a single one of these work? Should I go higher wattage? Any other ideas?

JBL PRX518S Powered PA Subwoofer - 18 Inch, 500 Watts

I will only be buying one and looking to cover 50 to 100 people at the most.

It all depends on how much thump you are expecting. You want to cover 50-100 people ... but how big is the room is the real question?

So with no idea of the answers to these questions I would think a single sub would be reasonable.

• Members

Good questions!

Not crazy thump, just deeper bass response than the RCF's can give me, the biggest room I can think of would be 60x20 with people dancing right in front of us on a small dance floor with no more than 30/40 people at a time.

Doing corporate work is a trip! I have so many people ask me about our gear, guitar brand, why do I use the Line 6 microphone... :) there is an element of appearance needed so people think you are good since you have good gear. Many people ask me about the RCF's since they never seen it at Guitar Center, when I tell them they are Italian, people love it! Must be better than Mackie's but never better than Bose! :) Adding a sub also helps in that department, the visual impression/presentation.

Rod

• Members

If you only want to have one sub, spending a little extra on a PRX618S-XLF might be a decent idea. I don't know how the 518 performs, but I know the 618S-XLF does a much better job side-by-side than a 618S. For "just a little more bass" you probably won't go wrong either way, but at least with the XLF you'd have the capability if you were hired for something that wanted a little more.

• Members

I'm assuming that you're looking at the PRX518 because you can pick them up for around $600 these days from retailers who still have them hanging around. I believe they have been replaced with the PRX618.

It certainly isn't a stellar performer but if your DJ duties are for folks over 40 it may suffice.

Two would be better. Here's a guy in your area selling two, and if his description is accurate they are for all intents and purposes new:

He said he's looking at a PRX518S. You posted a link to an MRX518S. Two different animals. I suppose you could 'sub' one for the other with the appropriate power amp.

• Members

He said he's looking at a PRX518S. You posted a link to an MRX518S. Two different animals. I suppose you could 'sub' one for the other with the appropriate power amp.

Nope that was my mistake. Put 'er up too quickly without double checking the first letter.

Archived