Get Ready to Buy New Earbuds for Your iPhone 7...

Anderton

• Members

Rumor has it that the iPhone 7 is going to get rid of the headphone jack and include a stereo speaker. Apparently Apple wants people to plug headphones into the lightning port, or use Bluetooth. I would think any of the companies making guitar phone interfaces that use the headphone jack aren't too happy about this...I get that progress marches on and all that, but that's an awful lot of landfill candidates...

Rumor has it that the iPhone 7 is going to get rid of the headphone jack and include a stereo speaker. Apparently Apple wants people to plug headphones into the lightning port, or use Bluetooth.

That's a really dumb idea IMO.

First of all, you won't be able to listen to music via the Lightning connector if you're using it to charge the device. It's bad enough there's no separate USB port on their devices.

Bluetooth may eventually be a viable alternative, but it's not quite there yet - at least not if ultimate fidelity is important to you. I've only come across one headphone that is reasonably decent sounding via Bluetooth, but it still sounds better in its plugged-in mode.

I would think any of the companies making guitar phone interfaces that use the headphone jack aren't too happy about this...I get that progress marches on and all that, but that's an awful lot of landfill candidates...

If it's plugging into the TRRS jack and they do away with the TRRS jack, it will become useless... but hasn't that always been an issue / concern when making products that relied on an Apple device? Some iPad recording products that "docked" units became obsolete when Apple switched from the 30-pin connector to Lightning. If they change the size / design of the unit, or the connectors, a lot of products that were designed to work with previous generation iOS devices have to be re-engineered / designed to work with the new Apple products - and that's got to be frustrating for peripheral manufacturers. Frankly, I wouldn't invest a ton of money into designing / building something unless I had a very good idea of whether or not it would remain viable and useful with currently available tablets and phones for long enough to recoup my investment and hopefully make a profit off it.

• Members

First of all, you won't be able to listen to music via the Lightning connector if you're using it to charge the device. It's bad enough there's no separate USB port on their devices.

I listen to my phone every night in bed through an earphone while its charging. This would suck for me. But I suppose they'd sell some adapter for $79.95 at the Apple store that would allow you to both charge and plug in their earbuds?

I listen to my phone every night in bed through an earphone while its charging. This would suck for me.

As do I - and I suspect a lot of other people do too.

But I suppose they'd sell some adapter for $79.95 at the Apple store that would allow you to both charge and plug in their earbuds?

It's the Apple Way. Cash in at every conceivable opportunity.

• Members

Frankly, I wouldn't invest a ton of money into designing / building something unless I had a very good idea of whether or not it would remain viable and useful with currently available tablets and phones for long enough to recoup my investment and hopefully make a profit off it.

This is exactly why I buy nothing from Apple. My granddaughter use to think Apple was just wonderful until she began to realize just how much money it cost to stay "cool". She now understands as it hit in her personal pocketbook.

I hope Apple looses their shirt on this.

• Members

Just got my first IPhone last month.

It's looking more and more like my last, and I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't last the year.

Apple has an uncanny ability to figure out the features I value in their products and then eliminate those features or make them not work.

• Members
Rumor has it that the iPhone 7 is going to get rid of the headphone jack and include a stereo speaker. Apparently Apple wants people to plug headphones into the lightning port, or use Bluetooth. I would think any of the companies making guitar phone interfaces that use the headphone jack aren't too happy about this...I get that progress marches on and all that, but that's an awful lot of landfill candidates...

I would welcome wireless headphones, especially when I`m at the gym. Right now, Apple is in a weird period... I don`t think they really know what they`re doing. The iWatch flopped so I think they`re freaking out. Honestly though, I`m not really sure what the latest greatest invention needs to be... then again, if I knew that, I`d be Steve Jobs...

• Members

I actually have a reason that few here would have for disliking this.

I use an app called Triggertrap for controlling my camera. It connects through the 1/8" plug via a dongle to my camera.

I would have to look for another good, cheap reliable alternative for a camera controller eventually if this went through. Not gonna stress over this so much, though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
Just got my first IPhone last month.

It's looking more and more like my last, and I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't last the year.

Apple has an uncanny ability to figure out the features I value in their products and then eliminate those features or make them not work.

Those dirty b********!

I like my iPads. But I have never owned or wanted to own an iPhone. My wife knows better than to ask me something about her iPhone 6. My blood pressure rises and I am likely to pitch it 4 stories off the balcony.

• CMS Author

I'd been anti-Apple for forever, but about 4 years ago I bought an iPhone 4S. It's been a great phone and I still use it. In contrast, my wife has had her Moto Android phone replaced at least once and had to take it in for the phone store to do some oddball reboot procedure at least twice. It regularly has strange issues like the alarm not using the speaker and just vibrating until the battery dies or one of us somehow is awakened. Meanwhile the old IPhone keeps trucking along.

And this is where I'm in a quandary of sorts. When the 5S came out, it was bigger, which isn't a "Plus" for me. It's on me all day. It also had the lightning connector, and of course I had invested in no less than five charger setups that are a must. So I hesitated on the 5S. Then the 6 came out, and was even larger. There was a rumor that Apple would release a 5S sized version of the 6 a few months later, which didn't happen.

So here I am with this old-ass phone (my son in-law asked if I was emulating Zoolander!!), and once again there's a rumor of another smallish 6 or 7 coming out. So I wait. But given that I'd have to reinvest in all the peripherals anyway, maybe I should consider another brand.

This shouldn't be so difficult, but we've been assimilated, haven't we?

• Members

Android vs. iPhone is similar to Windows vs. Mac: there are a zillion different Android phones with variants on operating systems and functionality, whereas the iPhone has a consistent and tightly controlled hardware spec. Remember too that Motorola is sort of like the e-Machines of Android phones, not the PC Audio Labs. I haven't experienced the update woes others claim to have had with iPhones, although I usually wait a bit before updating. I have an old Motorola Android Backflip phone, locked forever into OS 2.1 and whose battery has bloated to the point where the back doesn't close. I need to update, but keep reading about Android vulnerabilities...you can't win.

• Members

I've been a Mac guy since 2001 when I got my first computer (I was a late bloomer in the computing sense). So when I got my first smartphone a year and a half ago (again, late bloomer), I naturally went with an iPhone.

I haven't had any particular issues with it, but one thing I assumed would be pretty basic is actually pretty annoying. With my old (dumb) phone, with its crappy camera, I could take a picture and Bluetooth it to my laptop. With the iPhone (5 something) I couldn't. I either had to use iCloud (no thanks), use a 3rd party Bluetooth app (rather not), or plug the phone into the computer. The last option is what I've been doing and it annoys me because it means I have to use iPhoto, which annoys me. Why was it easier to use my old dumb phone this way than to use 2 Apple products together?

But this is the Apple way, right? It hasn't made me jump ship yet. I have an iPod in my car also which I only use the Lightning connector on to connect it to my stereo. But if I wanted to listen to it on my awesome KRK headphones and had no headphone jack...

• Members

Excuse me if I'm repeating. I haven't read all the posts - busy month for gigging and I have limited time to play here.

What I dislike most about Apple, is they like proprietary things and use it to keep the Apple people 'in the fold'.

When we used floppy disks, every disk eventually formatted like the IBM PC except Apple.

Remember SCSI and Fire Wire and that whatever you call it under the old iPod?

As soon as the patent wears off so that someone else can make an accessory and sell it cheaper, Apple makes something new and patents it.

Personally, I don't see an advantage of that lightning plug over a mini USB. Of course you can flip it over, but that really isn't an issue with me. And it makes my iPad incompatible with my USB synths, PCs, usb-MIDI interfaces, and usb-audio interfaces unless I buy a $30+ adapter.

Now the same thing for headphones? Apple will probably be happy to sell you a lightning to mini-phone adapter for $30+.

Everybody else uses standards. Now I see new improvements as a good thing, that's good change. But a change that goes against standardization without a good performance benefit that appears just to rake in more money is not a reason to depart from the standard IMHO

I'm glad I have an android phone.

My iPod still has that multi-pin connector and that adapter to USB --- and my iPad transfers files to my PCs via dropbox.

Apple makes good products, I grant you that, but this one thing about Apple just happens to be a pet peeve of mine.

Insights and incites by Notes

• Members

Heck, I'm still happy with my LG Xpression. When I saw these devices coming years ago... that people would become permanently attached at the hip to this one device that does it all (But does nothing really well) I decided I wasn't gonna go there, and I still haven't. I see people in shackles, but I'm still free and regularly leave my phone at home. I listen to the car radio and CDs. I'm happy. Buy yeah, the Apple thing is dumb. I don't see it as "Progress marching on" as much as I do your money marching on... out of your wallet and into Apple's. Often the ONLY reason for Apple or anyone else to release a new version is because they can can't on a large segment of the population to "Upgrade" for no other reason than it's the new thing and you just gotta have it.

• Members
I've been a Mac guy since 2001 when I got my first computer (I was a late bloomer in the computing sense). So when I got my first smartphone a year and a half ago (again, late bloomer), I naturally went with an iPhone.

I haven't had any particular issues with it, but one thing I assumed would be pretty basic is actually pretty annoying. With my old (dumb) phone, with its crappy camera, I could take a picture and Bluetooth it to my laptop. With the iPhone (5 something) I couldn't. I either had to use iCloud (no thanks), use a 3rd party Bluetooth app (rather not), or plug the phone into the computer. The last option is what I've been doing and it annoys me because it means I have to use iPhoto, which annoys me. Why was it easier to use my old dumb phone this way than to use 2 Apple products together?

But this is the Apple way, right? It hasn't made me jump ship yet. I have an iPod in my car also which I only use the Lightning connector on to connect it to my stereo. But if I wanted to listen to it on my awesome KRK headphones and had no headphone jack...

If you have an iPhone and a Mac should "AirDrop" be an option?

Air Drop it or email it to yourself. No additional apps required. :)

BTW, which KRK headphones are you using, the KNS-8400's? FWIW, I really like those cans a lot and use mine regularly. :cool2:

• Members

Air Drop it or email it to yourself. No additional apps required. :)

BTW, which KRK headphones are you using, the KNS-8400's? FWIW, I really like those cans a lot and use mine regularly. :cool2:

I email photos to myself as well. And Phil, thanks for turning me on to the KNS-8400 headphones...I agree with your assessment.

Archived