Buying My First Les Paul

jorgembg

I suppose if the color matters that much, and you find the perfect sounding and playing guitar that you feel would be the ideal lifetime partner if only it was a heritage cherry sunburst you could always have it refinished. I don't know if Gibson offers that service or not, but lots of third parties do great refinishing work.

• Members

I have never been all cosmetics in anything in life but for this particular guitar I always loved the sunburst. I will be trying out 2 more, a 2015 w pickguard and 2016 without it. And youre right I think I may have to learn to like it, it is a beauty in person so its not exactly an ugly ass guitar. The sunburst its just the classic one you know.

• Members

Well you do put it nicely, lifetime partner because thats what it will be. I was just that much impressed with the honeyburst. My fav has always been the sunburst and ill be trying out a 2015 w the guard and 2016 without it over this week.

• Members

Phil, refinishing is a giant hassle, particularly on newer guitars that have some of the modern poly finishes. In addition it is fairly common to have stains applied directly to the wood (don't know if Gibson still does this but at one time that's how they did the tobacco 'burst) - that would make changing color really difficult. I have a friend that does custom solid color paint jobs on guitars (his main business is motorcycles) - his prices start at a grand and go up, way up. And if someone brought me a Lester and asked for a refin I would turn it down - I simply can't duplicate factory finish.

Speaking of the cherry 'bursts - don't forget that they have a bad habit of fading as they become "vintage" just like most of the clear lacquers turn amber.

My humble advice to Jorge is to keep looking - Gibson has made so many different permutations that he is sure to find his dream.

• Members

Thanks Freeman. My buddy told me to take my time with it. I just got so hyped about it a couple of week sback when I went to Sam Ash and bought my niece her first guitar and decided to try a strat then the Les Paul. I was like F it why not, I can afford one and Ive been writing a lot lately, plus its about dam time. So I played the only LP standard they had (the 2014 honeyburst) and man I couldnt leave it alone. The guy was let me jam with it for a while. This guitar picked up every little detail about my strumming and scratching I do with my right hand and it got every mute and slight muting I do when I play and it sounded amazing....I would go as far as addicting. Im that hooked and I havent been hyped about playing in a while. I want to record in 2016 and I wont do it unless I have a Les Paul.....weird but I suppose I havent been impresssed with a lot of things in a long time......

Archived