Why do you like the music you like?

Folder

• Members

I just stumbled on this while looking for a lighting section but, this is perhaps the most profound question I've ever heard.

I will be thinking a lot about it in the future but I don't want to get too far off task (lighting)

I know that my father's side of the family were musically inclined.

I know that I was naturally drawn to music from an early age (8 yo in 1960).

I know that the Beatles/british invasion bands had an immediate and long lasting impact on me a few years later.

I know that I liked the idea of girls chasing after me.

Being a wannabe hippie, I was drawn to the counter culture music.

Being a drummer, I gravitated to the more bass driven rhythmic music.

Being open minded, I ended up with a wide range of music I love to hear and play.

My sister, 2 years older, had a completely different taste in music. She was 14 when the Beatles hit and she didn't even bat an eye. Also, she never took an interest in playing music. My son and grandsons have also never shown an interest in playing music so the genetic angle is spotty.

• Members

Why?

Maybe because I've got a squirrelly, whiney voice, myself. :D

But I'm not sure that covers it. There are other folks with such voices I don't have big problems with. There's just something about the timbre of their voices and the way they sing. But, you know, neither of those artists I cited have any song content I like, either. So, I suspect it's the double whammy as much as anything. I'll listen to a great singer singing piffle (sometimes, though the greats usually gravitate toward stronger material) but when I don't like the song and I don't like the singer's voice...

• Members

I really can't explain, but I tend to like darker sonorities and lots of passion.

Whether it's Tchaikovsky, Louis Armstrong, Muddy Waters, simple or complex, I tend to like minor keys.

Of course there are plenty of other factors involved. and I do enjoy a lot of bright music in happy, major keys, but my very favorites seem to be more brooding.

I think that's hardwired, but don't know for sure.

After that comes music education and learning how to listen to music (thanks to my first band director, Robert C. Monroe for that - it was the greatest musical gift anyone ever gave me). My favorite music of all turned out to be dark, passionate symphonies from masters like Tchaikovsky, Dvorak, Suk, Shastakovitch, and so on.

And I really can't say why a great Rimsky-Korsakov symphony can grab me when a great Copeland symphony leaves me uninterested.

And for simple music why the blues gets me much more than country does.

Insights and incites by Notes

• Members

I think that's hardwired, but don't know for sure.

I'm not sure about that. My tastes have gone through many iterations. To that respect, I'm waiting for the time it shifts again. I assume it's going to happen.

The reason why I like the music I do these days is a totally different reason why I liked the music I used to like.

• Members
<...>

The reason why I like the music I do these days is a totally different reason why I liked the music I used to like.

Same for me. But I still tend to like the darker sonorities.

When I think of the pop music I bought and liked as a child, the majority was full of blue notes.

I went through lots of different phases from my first records to now, and I have a lot of those old tunes mixed on the 10,000 or so tunes on my iPod. When I hear them, they are like visiting old friends again. But I wouldn't want a steady diet of them.

And if tomorrow or next year I should find myself gravitating towards happy and lighter music, that would be perfectly OK with me.

And still, I don't have any idea why I like what I like. I guess it just strikes a chord with me (pun intended).

Insights and incites by Notes

Archived