IEM HELP FROM A SOUNDMAN

• Members

I would like to switch to IEMs and get away from the floor monitors. My issue is, we don't have a sound man. We are our own soundman. That being said, I was wondering as to the legitimacy of switching just myself to in-ears. I am unfamiliar with them as a whole but i can pick it up quick. i just want to be able to hear what I want to hear to help better my stage presence being a lead singer and acoustic guitar player, sometimes the acoustic gets lost in the mix and so do I?

Thanks,

• Members

IEMs would solve your problem of not being able to hear yourself or your guitar. The downside is, you will lose touch with what the front of house sounds like. I guess the later is always a problem for those that have to mix from stage so going IEM might be a net gain provided you have a good strategy for getting the FOH mix balanced. Would be difficult if you are looking after the mixer - not so bad if someone else in the band is.

• Members

There's nothing wrong with just one person in the band using IEMs. How many different monitor mixes are does your board do? If you are sharing a monitor mix with some one else then it could get weird. If you have your own mix it's no problem.

Beware though, the lack of ambient sound can be disconcerting. I tried them once before and couldn't stay with them. I'm trying them again. As a matter of fact my Audio Technica M3's arrived yesterday with the AT AM3 lav mic. The M3's receiver lets u mix in the lav mic's signal so you can hear the crowd, yourself when your talking to band members and vice versa. I'm off this week so I'll be trying them for the first time next week. I'm hoping the ability to mix in some ambient sound will help with the disconnected feeling I got the last time I tried using IEM's. The ability to hear the exact mix you want is definitely cool though. With IEMs your not fighting the stage volume of the other members.

Archived