iNUKE NU4-6000 configuration

• Members
2 ohm capable at that power level for how long?

Good question - I've not seen any published tests with a pair of 8 ohm mains on one channel and a pair of 4 ohm subs on the other for the NU3000 (which this appears to be two of in one box). Under normal usage I'd expect it to be OK - maybe not with electronica with lots of stoopid loud sine wave bass stuff going on...

• Members

There are a few 4ch amps on the market, not many user friendly though.

I just bought a Carvin DCM2004L in dec. 300w x 4 @ 8ohms, 500w @ 4, not rated for 2. It's a monitor amp. I had a shallow 6u rack sitting around, put it and 2 eqs and a patch panel for the speakon outs (6ft 1/4 TRS tails live attached in the rack) along with a power strip. Works great! 25lbs, 4 mixes w/ eq. I've even sent it out on a small pa that was L/R + 2mix and worked like a charm for that.

For high powered 4ch amps you're talking serious $. Right now there is no UL approval for the behringer and who knows if there will be. It's tempting to have that power in a small space, just wish it had nothing to do w/ behringer.

I just sold 2 heavy yamaha amps. I've got cash and thinking about ordering 1 more DCM2004L. Or 2 peavey IPR1600's. But size and weight....

• Members

I'd still be scared as hell of running my entire rig off a single poweramp. I've had a poweramp fail into permanent protect mode (Yamaha CP2000) and fortunately it was for a drum monitor, and I was the drummer... so I dealt with it. At least with an amp for tops and an amp for subs, you can limp through the show if either goes down (obviously using the sub amp for top duty should the failure occur there, hah). But with one amp, if the magic smoke comes out, you're totally done with FOH, there's no recovery... and you'd better hope the monitors are loud enough.

EDIT: Wait, biamping for mains and running two monitors on it? Are you saying you'd be powering mains AND monitors off the single amp? Jesus, that'd be even worse if it fails... you couldn't even flip the monitors up on their sides and power the show with 'em.

• Members

EDIT: Wait, biamping for mains and running two monitors on it? Are you saying you'd be powering mains AND monitors off the single amp? Jesus, that'd be even worse if it fails... you couldn't even flip the monitors up on their sides and power the show with 'em.

No...I'd have another amp(s) near the stage or at least in the truck. I would just like to be able to load a single mixer-over-6U case with a full set-up. Right now, I need a few spaces reserved for a couple preamps and eq's.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

It is a little scary running mains and monitors off one amp. I can say though that having a separate amp rack for mon and one for mains does help in terms of amp failure. If a 4ch mon amp goes down totally then just put the stereo system on 1 channel of each mains amp (HF/MF/LF) an patch in and get 3 amp channels there. Not perfect but doable.

4ch amps are rare and hard to sell. By the sales numbers it makes them more expensive to produce smaller quantities and that cost gets passes on.

• Members

This brings back memories of when I roadied backline 30 years ago. The headliner was to appear at a make or break gig for the record industry, and someone had the brilliant idea to run all the FOH tops (S2s) from an experimental amp called The Brain. 10,000 watts. Incredible engineering achievement that seemed less so after half an hour of two guys showing the audience buttcrack while trying to figure out why it wouldn't work.

• Members

Behringer does come up with some great ideas occasionaly. It's just too bad they're implimented so poorly. To this day no one makes a DSP unit with 3 in and 6 out (for 2 way + aux fed sub the ultra drive unit works OK) for less than $2000 (One of the DBX driverack 8400 comes close). It's a system that many people use yet is unsupported by the industry (except for Behringer). Maybe some people should be ripping Uli off but actualy building it right. I wonder how he'd feel being on the other end of a loosing lawsuite?

just a thought.

• Members

Maybe some people should be ripping Uli off but actualy building it right. I wonder how he'd feel being on the other end of a losing lawsuit?

I'm pretty sure he'd get a laugh out of some company coming out with a clone of one of his products that cost 50-100% more :lol::facepalm: .

( Is it megathread time yet? :D )

• Members

Behringer does come up with some great ideas occasionaly. It's just too bad they're implimented so poorly. To this day no one makes a DSP unit with 3 in and 6 out (for 2 way + aux fed sub the ultra drive unit works OK) for less than $2000 (One of the DBX driverack 8400 comes close). It's a system that many people use yet is unsupported by the industry (except for Behringer). Maybe some people should be ripping Uli off but actualy building it right. I wonder how he'd feel being on the other end of a loosing lawsuite?

just a thought.

Carvin has one now, Peavey VSX48, Alto (alesis) I think has one. BBE... nevermind

• Members

just a thought.

Check out the BBE DS48

• Members

Check out the BBE DS48

I think I did look at that unit once. Wasn't that the one you gave a poor review to recently? It couldn't be much worse than the "B" unit though :-)

Thanks Unalaska, Nice to know there are still people with their fingers on the pulse of the industry.

• Members

Yes, that's the one I reviewed. Read the review carefully, as long as you undertsand the limitations and the parcularities, it's a viable piece... at least as viable as the "B" units (which I haven't reviewed yet, the only ones I have seen in the field are already non-functional).

Archived