What Are Your Report Cards for Windows 10 and El Capitan?

Anderton

• Members

Apparently, Microsoft is moving the Windows 10 adoption from voluntary to mandatory. A month or so ago, people reported that Windows 10 was updating and installing on its own, and Microsoft called it a bug and apologized. Well that didn't last long. It looks like it is back, perhaps as early as tomorrow (8 Dec 2015). It also appears to be taking some aggressive steps to make sure you will install the system. (Including changing your preferences if you had previously opted out).

Interesting article about what appears to be getting ready to happen over at Computer World magazine, "Microsoft sets stage for massive Windows 10 upgrade strategy"

http://www.computerworld.com/article/3012278/microsoft-windows/microsoft-sets-stage-for-massive-windows-10-upgrade-strategy.html#tk.rss_all

• Members

I screwed up and replaced my 8 year old IMac with a new IMac. I was running Yosemite with the old machine and it worked like a champ. I have spent the last three days trying to get the new mahine to work with El Capitan. I checked all my peripheral drivers and software for El Capitan updates and have loaded all of them and it still dosen't work.

• Members

On my <1 year old MBP El Capitan at first seemed like a mistake. I couldn't open Live or Digital Performer until I realized I had to update UAD software. Even after that it seemed hicuppy, but since then it seems to have smoothed out, although I haven't been using the music programs much lately.

I have a network drive on which I house my iTunes library & backups. Initially the shortcut to it that was in the Finder windows disappeared. I had to figure out how to find devices on the network again to make a new shortcut. Not really a big deal but it was unexpected & at first I thought I wouldn't be able to find it.

I almost rolled back to the disc image I made of the previous version, but now it seems to be going ok. Still, every once in a while something happens that makes me almost want to again.

• Members

I'm still an "insider". I could be wrong about this, but it seems that competing software has to be reinstalled all of the time. I have had to re-install Libre Office and VLC . Competing software such as Cool Edit and Libre Office will never show up in the "OPEN WITH" window when right clicking on a file. W10 seems to be pushing Microsoft Office, Microsoft Reader (Edge in the later versions) and Microsoft Media Player (Groove Music), this way.

Also after these updates, (MANY OF WHICH ARE MAJOR REQUIRING AN HOUR OR MORE TO RE-BOOT) some programs won't work anymore or have to be re-installed....such as my Cubase LE. very old software yes, but misleading if it runs on one version of W10 but not another.

So what I'm afraid of with this, is the old adage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." won't hold up with W10 because they are constantly "fixing it". So the software that runs on your W10 computer today, may not run on it 3 years from now. If they continue down this path, I may go back to XP.

I you watched any of the old W10 videos from a year ago, Microsoft made it clear that they were tired of "supporting" multiple OS platforms. However, I believe that now, with this single OS they have time on their hands to tweak it endlessly.

Dan

• Members

Well, I finally bit the bullet and upgraded my office laptop to Windows 10. The real test will be when I try to upgrade my desktop, but so far, I have to say that although I have misgivings about how much I trust Microsoft to have my best interests at heart, W10 is faster, cleaner, and more convenient than 7 and a huge improvement over Windows 8/8.1, which I never installed on any machine. SONAR also runs like lightning under W10. So, my report so far is thumbs up on performance, uncertain about long-term ramifications...

• Members

My anecdotal experience informs me Win 10 is not ready for hybrids and 2 in 1 devices. According to this 10 December story from ZDNet, M$ is issuing apologies to Surface 4 owners!

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/s...6059246&auth=1

http://www.zdnet.com/article/ed-bott...rface-apology/

If MS cannot even get this upgrade right for its own hardware, why should anyone trust it to get it right for competitor's devices?I own two competing hybrids. No way I'm upgrading.

As far as hybrids go, Windows 10 has a long way to go.

Archived