Backing Tracks

John Rhodes

• Moderators

are these pre-recorded loops you saved on the JamMan, or are you trying to do them live at the show?[not recommended, btw]

If they are pre-recorded tracks, you need to practice with them and the live instrument, since there really is no editing function on the JamMan. The overall volume per loop was determined when recorded. If you didn't control the input volumes consistently while recording...you screwed yourself [a lesson learned the hard way].

• Members

And it's a thing you have to do by ear.

Normalizing doesn't work for that purpose.

I make my own backing tracks http://www.nortonmusic.com/backing_tracks.html and often make two or three at different volume levels so when I get on the stage PA (instead of the studio gear) I can pick the one that is best

Insights and incites by Notes

• Members

Getting consistent levels can be a tricky thing. Setting them on the gear you will be using can help, but there's nothing like being at the gig to really find out. I'm pretty good about guessing what's going to work but it still sometimes take two or three or more revisions of a tune (after playing it at the gig) to get the levels right. Even then I usually have my mixer close by to adjust levels if needs be. Turn up the drums if they start dancing. Turn down the bass if people are trying to talk, and so on.

Note's idea of three different versions is cool, but I'm so easily befuddled that would backfire on me.

Using light compression might help if you really knew what you were doing, but I suspect that if the tracks were recorded at different volumes, the technical side of sound might not be your thing.

If things go sideways, smile, dance and comment on how many good looking ladies there are in the place. But don't look at Tiny's woman while you're saying that!

• 5 months later...
  • Members

I am a worship leader that does not play an instrument and I am asked to sing at different venues. I have used backing tracks ( karaoke style) or have had a pianist with me. I realize playing an instrument would make me a much better leader and I would most likely get alot more gigs. Is it appropriate to use tracks ( of good quality) when performing?

• Moderators

I have to lean away from a vocalist who sings to pre-recorded tracks as a salable act.

I know it gets done, I've seen it [and walked out] but I find it to be painful to consider. I would rather hear a good vocalist back themself on a ukelele or strum cowboy chords on a guitar that hear karaoke tracks...actually, that was how I started out, all those years ago...and I still do it on occasion...for $.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

Very interesting thread. For me who is a non musician I just try to adopt to what is available and work on my voice to suit the track.

The big difference is I'm just singing for my own pleasure but I enjoy it most with another accompanying me live. However opportunities are not there all the time. Karaoke although not the perfect solution is fun. Would be great with an orchestra backing live but that is another story. Too bad I stopped singing in my 20's and reviving it now in my 70's yet it brings me pleasant memories. CHEERS louie

• Members

I'm meeting people all the time,who stopped playing music to get other things done, Now those folks, in their sixties and seventies are taking it up again. As long as it's fun, why not. My only complaint is when "hobbyists" find a venue and offer to play for dirt cheap, just to get a chance to perform. No undercutting or underbidding is all that I ask.

Hope you have fun getting your chops up to whatever speed works for you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
I see posts about "pre-recorded" backing tracks. So when performing single, duo or other wise what backing tracks are there. Just drums? Drums and Bass? Entire songs. Do people just put in a Karaoke CD and go to town? What are we talking about here? I am interested in the lazy way of performing in a single or duo setting then moving up. Have all of the pa, vocal and bass guitar equipment...now what? THANKS

Hi, Backing tracks can be used to fill out the rest of the song for the instruments you do not have in a live setting. They are also a great tool for keeping in time and performing to the beat! If you have Logic Pro or even Garageband you can produce backing tracks yourself and just leave out the instruments/vocals that you will perform live on stage.

Hope that help, Cheers!!

Archived