NGD redux. My own pics of my new PAC1412

Jkater

• Members

My first NGD thread got nowhere (thanks nonetheless to those who posted). The title was maybe a little unclear as a NGD. And the pics were the seller's so I thought of starting it anew with my own pics. Preacher's request for a belly cut pic was attended to. smile.png Again no pictures comes close to showing what this thing looks like in real life. It's stunning (I know... we use that word all the time but....)

first thread : http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...dreamguitarday

The Pacifica 1412 is rare as hen's teeth. It is the highest ever Pacifica model that was made and they made about 250 of them before deciding that, with a $2200.00 price tag in 1990, they were not making money with it and called it history. Neck-through construction with a gorgeous layered body of curly maple-ebony-mahogany-ebony-mahogany sandwhiching the neck that goes through it all. Neck is five piece maple and mahogany. Headstock is very tilted. Fretboard is ebony (the little bit of fretboard that is not covered in pearl and Abalone). The frets must be stainless steel since they're like new and the guitar has been played a lot judging by the back's spiderweb-like marks from buttons and belt buckles. The finish is nitro. Dimarzio pups.

Made around 1990. Designed in the California custom shop by Rich Lasner (who also designed the Wellington and the Ibanez JEM) . It's either built in Japan or in the US. (prototype was built in the US). I hope it's made in Japan by those super human luthiers at the Yamaha custom shop. (It sure looks like they're the one who built it, considering how precisely it's put together).

Best of all: incredible playing feel. Neck is wider than the norm and the neck is thin. this balances out to a very confortable feel and this 25 year old neck is straight as a ruler. I set it to minimal relief and action and man, is it easy to play! I am able to set the action at 3.5/64th"- 3/64th" (low E - high E) at the 12th fret with not only no buzz whatsoever but with clear ringing tone at every note. This is way lower than I'm used to but it makes for some fun playing.

Enjoy the pics:

8239b234854834af5b84e65508016553.jpg.e1b3dda7dab447230e9e247f6c9c2f17.jpg

d3dcc8572179db2fd9fd605a2df46da5.jpg.b4c9f2b358c8122c6ec7b79e85476d50.jpg

f8e0c88c31e2ef248750b5053a8181ba.jpg.3778d623d85c95fefff3d03ab752f225.jpg

a1c10898fc64238ee2b7c2e1514d9879.jpg.52faaaa8d14ba2d2b6d384361dcdc41d.jpg

667e07370e31208399ba62926a1ddfa2.jpg.5d40b95c603a5a9c94dc14a15bc80756.jpg

• Members
love those inlays.....on a fancy guitar that's just the right balance of "flash". Not so much that it's over bearing and tacky' date=' but just enough to be tasteful and eye catching. [/quote']

You nailed it. The guitar being as fancy as it gets in every way, on every side, those inlays are just right. Strangely, in spite of their size, they look decent and tasteful rather than gaudy.

• Members
Wow!

As a longtime fan of high end MIJ Yamaha guitars, I can imagine that one sounds, feels and plays as good as it looks - with perfect intonation.

My MIJ Yammie arsenal is now at three : SA2200 (with flats these days), my trusty PAC904 and now the PAC1412 (I do think it is made in Japan rather than in the California shop where it was born as a prototype).

I would fancy owning an SG2000 or wellington if I didn't already have two solidbody humbucker guitars, namely a Gibson LP DC (terrible QC but a cool guitar) and a fabulous PRS Modern Eagle SC250 (QC as good as a japanese Yamaha... smile.png )

• Members

You nailed it. The guitar being as fancy as it gets in every way, on every side, those inlays are just right. Strangely, in spite of their size, they look decent and tasteful rather than gaudy.

That's the japanese for you. it's their attitude. confident but polite. They let the quality do the talking.

• Members
Definatley worth a....

you can tell she's actually putting it on rather than taking it off because at the same time the woman at the back is walking forth (bending down. the opposite would be un-natural). So we're safe : it's pg13. :) (gee, she's cute too!)

• Members

Floyd Rose were the thing in the early 90's. Rich Larsen said in an interview that without it, this guitar would have been "viable" (whatever he means by that). Here's a link to that interview about the PAC1412

For me, the floyd was interesting because I have like, ten guitars, and I had none with a Floyd Rose and I fancied having one and see what I can do with it. That this floyd happens to be attached to this guitar makes it very desirable.

In fact, I hardly ever use the trem (gonna try it for fun to see what comes of it) but I must say that the double lock thing makes for an incredible tuning stability.

• Members
By the way' date=' are Floyd Rose trems disliked by a lot of people? I still see a lot of guitars made with them, notably Ibanez JEM and such.[/quote']

Floyds take a little time to get used to setting up but once you learn how they're easy. Just be careful and don't crank on the screws. Floyds went out of favor in about 92 when grunge took over and it stayed that way until I saw around the end of the 90's or early 2000's.

• Members
By the way' date=' are Floyd Rose trems disliked by a lot of people? I still see a lot of guitars made with them, notably Ibanez JEM and such.[/quote']

Nothing wrong with them, just not for me (I rarely use trems) . At least you have one in your arsenal now. She's a beaut anyway.

• Members

Thank you guys!

I discover more and more things that please me with this guitar. I knew from the specs that it was chambered (even the horns) but I can now feel and hear what it does. You'd never imagine that this type of guitar shape would yield a 335 kind of resonnance but it does. The chambered body makes it also very well balanced. I think when Rich Lasner designed this guitar, he went all out with his ideas and had the support of Yamaha's huge power and know-how to make it real. He said in that interview that the 1412 would have been the next step if he had stayed with Ibanez.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members
Thank you guys!

I discover more and more things that please me with this guitar. I knew from the specs that it was chambered (even the horns) but I can now feel and hear what it does. You'd never imagine that this type of guitar shape would yield a 335 kind of resonnance but it does. The chambered body makes it also very well balanced. I think when Rich Lasner designed this guitar, he went all out with his ideas and had the support of Yamaha's huge power and know-how to make it real. He said in that interview that the 1412 would have been the next step if he had stayed with Ibanez.

Holy cow, it's chambered? :eek2: This thing is full of surprises. That's amazing.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members
very nice... i have been jonesing for one of those for a while there is one hanging in a local shop here in Singapore that's calling my name but I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

They are very rare, as you surely know. How much are they asking for it?

Archived