Fender/Sunn cabinets?

• Members

I'm hoping to find a little info on a pair of cabinets I've inherited. Sunn faceplate and cabinet matches other Fender/Sunn amps I've seen photos of, which would place it in the 80's. I think. Info on this stuff is crazy hard to find. They each have one 15" woofer and horn , 3x14 aprox. The speakers have a paper tag which say GBE 1580. That should mean a Genz Benz speaker, yes? It sure looks original to the box but who knows. There is what appears to be a crossover on the back at the inputs, of which there are two. I read an old catalog description somewhere that mentioned Sunn cabinets having two inputs. One for signal and one for daisy chaining to another cabinet. They sound good with bass and guitar. Does anyone have experience with these ? [ATTACH=CONFIG]343542[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]343543[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]343544[/ATTACH]

• Members

Somebody replaced the 15" drivers with the GBE-1580 (which is a cast frame, edge wound voice coil speaker similar but not identical to the Delta Pro 15A) Good drivers for that application and probably a pretty good tuning match for the box. Better than what came with the box.

• Members

Thank you for that. To you're knowledge is that a crossover I posted a photo of? I mean I don't know what else it could be. I've just never seen one that looked so home made. But with the two inputs it has to be either set up for bi-amping or just a simple pass thru for daisy chaining. At which point why have a crossover? Absolutely no markings on the outside of the input plate. Thanks again.

• Members

It's just a pass through for paralleling mutiple cabinets. The crossover is to cross the internal components, not additional cabinets.

The input plate does not look particularly homemade to me (PCB construction).

• Members

Judging by your picture(s), I believe those are Sunn model 1115H or 2115H... vintage mid 1980's (probably 1986). Probably the following accoutrements:

Tolex covering

Spring loaded handles

Shelf port in bottom.

If my hunch is correct, originally the cabinet was loaded with a "Sunn Custom Designed 15" Woofer", 8 ohms, rated 300 watts program. Originally the grill was mounted with the pattern clocked at 45 degrees.

I had a pair of the 1115H or 2115H's a couple of decades ago... I still have the factory cut sheet, which I believe had a typo... the model is listed as 2115H on the cut sheet, but I believe the model is actually 1115H... and I don't believe Sunn ever made a 2115H model. I do believe the jacks are wired parallel. It seems like I might have had one of the woofers out... I kind-of remember they were branded Sunn, model SPL-915R. It seems like the horn drivers were Fostex or Emilar.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

good info. I put it all back together and pumped it up with my stereo rig and it sounds surprisingly good cept for the occaisional resonances. I'll have to test it more to see if it's a consistant frequency but I'm putting such dense sound through that I shouldn't be surprised. Maybe just needs a bit of tweaking of some patches. better eq. etc. Overall I'm really diggin the extended frequency response. The straight guitar sounds good and the blend with the synth sounds real good. Just an aside but the Rocktron 12" trapezoidal boxes have more boom but this is tighter. Surprisingly tight. Obviously designed to take a lot more input than I'm pushing. Good to have both. Thanks again.

Archived