Difference between these two subs

• Members

The other big difference is resale value!

You will be giving the MRX528 away just to get rid of it where the SRX728 there will always be someone willing to take them off your hands when you are done with them!

Performance wise, it's not even close IMO.....the SRX728 destroys the MRX528.

• Members

I think the MRX will retain pretty good resale value (provided they are not trashed) as well. I find more customers looking for used MRX by far compared with SRX.

Not from what I have seen, there have been a few pop up for sale on the other sound forums and they sit there for ever, the MRX512/515 cabs seem to sell well used.....but the subs, not so much.

• Members

I can't get enough used MRX subs. Had a pair of 418P's that sold in about 2 hours. A pair of 518's sold in a couple of days. The thing about the MRX is that it hits a good performance/price ratio and used can be a great value where the SRX performance is not necessary. Remember that MOST folks find the MRX to be more than adequate. Resale is more than pros selling to pros... and in fact that's probably the smallest sector.

• Members

I can't get enough used MRX subs. Had a pair of 418P's that sold in about 2 hours. A pair of 518's sold in a couple of days. The thing about the MRX is that it hits a good performance/price ratio and used can be a great value where the SRX performance is not necessary. Remember that MOST folks find the MRX to be more than adequate. Resale is more than pros selling to pros... and in fact that's probably the smallest sector.

On a related note, I currently have a pair of MRX518's, but sometimes need more ooomph. Which makes more sense, an additional pair of MRX's, or a used pair of SRX's. An additional part of the equation, I have to move them by myself.

• Members

When you post a for sale add for a quality sub like a JBL SRX728 or a EV QRX218 you never..ever have to worry about shipping them, someone local or even far away will come and pick them up from you.

I posted my QRX218 subs for sale 12:30am on PSW, I had them sold by 1:15am the same morning.

The person drove 8-hours round trip to come and get them from me..

Can't do that with a MRX sub..

• Members

I can't get enough used MRX subs. Had a pair of 418P's that sold in about 2 hours. A pair of 518's sold in a couple of days.
The thing about the MRX is that it hits a good performance/price ratio and used can be a great value where the SRX performance is not necessary. Remember that MOST folks find the MRX to be more than adequate.
Resale is more than pros selling to pros... and in fact that's probably the smallest sector.

So true! For tracks shows or DJ work MRX512ms over MRX518s or similar performing subs are fabulous and alot better than the majority of DJs ever use.

I use them for tracks shows which are alot less demanding than DJing or Live Shows. In that application they have exceeded my expectations.

• Members

On a related note, I currently have a pair of MRX518's, but sometimes need more ooomph. Which makes more sense, an additional pair of MRX's, or a used pair of SRX's. An additional part of the equation, I have to move them by myself.

Either another pair of MRX OR a pair of SRX718's, you will probably get a little more out of the pair of 518's compared with the single 718 but close.

• Members

Either another pair of MRX OR a pair of SRX718's, you will probably get a little more out of the pair of 518's compared with the single 718 but close.

Thanks for that. I just love it when the less expensive option just may have an edge. Even if it's only a little one.

• Members

I really want 4 of the MRX 528 for the amount of sub I need. I don't want the expense of the 728s, but have it sound as (or almost as) good.

Then on top, I'm thinking of 2 MRX 522s. One for each side.

How would you power these. I already have 3 PLX3402s.

• Members

If you use 3402's on the 528's in stereo, you are good to go IMO.

I have a client with 4 of the 528's and it's a great sounding system. Has my line array tops with them and I wrote the DSP algorithems, plenty of LF extension for the size and weight.

• Members

I really want 4 of the MRX 528 for the amount of sub I need. I don't want the expense of the 728s, but have it sound as (or almost as) good.

Then on top, I'm thinking of 2 MRX 522s. One for each side.

How would you power these. I already have 3 PLX3402s.

I work with a band that has a pair of the MRX528s, and they work fine. Plenty of low end. Your PLX3402s may be fine, but I find that the 528s don't really 'wake up' until they start to see at least 2000 watts each. YMMV.

P.S. For tops, did you mean MRX 525s or maybe 515s?

• Members

I work with a band that has a pair of the MRX528s, and they work fine. Plenty of low end. Your PLX3402s may be fine, but I find that the 528s don't really 'wake up' until they start to see at least 2000 watts each. YMMV.

P.S. For tops, did you mean MRX 525s or maybe 515s?

Well, I was talking about the dual 12". I see that is only available in the 722 model.

• Members

If you use 3402's on the 528's in stereo, you are good to go IMO.

I have a client with 4 of the 528's and it's a great sounding system. Has my line array tops with them and I wrote the DSP algorithems, plenty of LF extension for the size and weight.

I would like to find out more about your tops. Maybe that's the way for me to go. I have been wanting the Peavey versarray. Too expensive for me, though.

Archived