Sharing a mic for regular and vocoder duties in a live rig

wasjamieb

• Members

Hello all,

I am in need of some type of A/B switch for an XLR. I need something silent, as I will be switching my output between my line to the main board, and my vocoder. Any ideas on whether a product like this exists? I did a search on the page, and on the usual retail sites.

Thanks,

jamieb

+++++

• Members

Hmm. Maybe I didn't search as thoroughly as I had thought. In all honesty, I thought this was like a "cough" button, with a momentary switch. Should have read the details. Thanks, David.

To clarify, I am going to attempt to control the vocoder with my old Roland AX-1. I was in a pretty serious auto accident back in July, and, even though I didn't lose my left arm (which they thought I might), I still don't have full extension and use. Trying to find something that will work for me on an ergonomic level with my current limitations.

Thanks again!

jamieb

+++++

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

for a while I was using a headset mic for my vocoder, because I had to sing in between vocoding. When I bought my Ultranova synth, it came with a boom mic, so I zip tied that to my boom and use that now. The headset was a pain to put on and off real fast between songs.

• Members

I'm into a similar situation of late. Getting patches together on my new Roland FA-08 that will replace my aging and heavy Korg TR-88. The new board has a vocoder and I know of one song at least where I could use that but not quite sure how to tie it in yet.

I use a wireless headset mic, using a normal mic on a stand tended to get in the way while I was playing a 3 tier keyboard setup but now, along with my new board, I'm going to reduce that back down to two and perhaps I could switch back to a normal mic. Perhaps I'll just continue to use the headset mic and hook up a mic and stand for the rare vocoder part.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Yes it does. I ordered this just yesterday from MF and it was here already today. I've just spent some time getting it set up and going. It was a little weird getting the switches set, still unsure about the "push to talk" and "push to mute" modes but discovered it worked best for me with push to mute. Definitely wanted it in latching mode and it seemed it needed to be in push to mute for that to happen.

Anyway...to explain my setup a bit; I primarily play keyboards but there is a point at the end of the night where I switch to guitar. Since I need a vocal mic in either case it's most efficient to continue using the AKG SR420 wireless headset system I've been using. I'm now taking the output from that receiver (all connections are XLR cable) and running it into the Panic Button input, A output is for the FOH normal mic and B (using a TRS adapter) plugs into my FA-08 for the vocoder duties. The Panic Button comes with a fairly small wall wart or you can use a 9V battery so it's active and I'm not detecting any pops or clicks. Testing is good and so I don't have any reason to think it won't work fine at our NYE gig.

This sure beats having a to set up a second SM58 on a mic stand by my keyboards with the Sign Off switch just for vocoding.

Archived