Vince Gill Plays the Blues

onelife

• Members

I first heard of Vince Gill when I saw his name in a vocal credit on a Dire Straits album (I wasn't paying much attention to country music at the time). When I finally heard some of his music I thought that Mark Knopfler may have returned the favour.

I have since discovered that Vince is a world class guitarist in his own right and it's nice to hear him pull some serious blues out of his old tele.

I first heard of Vince Gill when I saw his name in a vocal credit on a Dire Straits album (I wasn't paying much attention to country music at the time). When I finally heard some of his music I thought that Mark Knopfler may have returned the favour.

I have since discovered that Vince is a world class guitarist in his own right and it's nice to hear him pull some serious blues out of his old tele.

One of the things that used to really annoy me about the Nashville studio scene was that they didn't (still don't?) allow artists who were not just singers, but rather serious guitarists to play lead guitar on their own tracks. Guys like Vince Gill and Steve Wariner can hang with anyone out there, but they had to fight to get to play on their own recordings. A lot of the Nashville producers seem to want to bring in the hired gun du jour, and no matter how good they are (and some, like Mason, are amazing), sticking to the same stable of players for everything tends to lead to too many similarities between artists and albums for my tastes. Why not let the player's own personality help differentiate their music? I see no harm in it - especially when they can play as well as Vince Gill can.

• Members

So are you saying Vince didn't play on (some of) his own releases?

I recently watched a couple of things on Netflix about Muscle Shoals and The Wreaking Crew. It was mostly the same players doing all the recording in those situations as well.

Maybe that's a reason why popular music often sounds trendy.

Archived