Little Shop of Horrors

kwakatak

• Members

Happy Halloween. Here's some of the butchery that's gone on in my little shop of horrors this year:

4728FEF2-orig_zps6c314cb0.jpg

593C719A-orig_zps54002434.jpg

887C5FA5-orig_zps1a92c6ed.jpg

If I ever get it put back together it will obviously NOT be with original parts. If it does get reassembled it will be a mess and a monster of different pieces & parts. Should I call it a Frankentak or just call it the krakatak?

• Members

It's a fun looking project, Neil. A great way to hone some skills on, for sure. I take it the razor saw and sawn-off fingerboard extension are due to an epoxied neck joint? That roto-zipping of the top tells me a new top is going on. Lot's of work. Inlay a single line through Takamine on the headstock and then inlay Frankentak immediately beneath it in a sagging cursive-style font - in red of course.

• Members

If you are not going to use the original neck by converting it to a butted bolt on I would consider routing a new neck pocket into the end of the guitar. You could make it either a standard M&T bolt on or a full dovetail (I think it would be a PITA to do a dovetail), then either make a new neck for it or buy one of the commercial preshaped ones. You'd have to make sure the new neck was the right scale, but actually, since the bridge is off you could even change the scale.

You would have to make a router template and figure out how to stick it on the end of the guitar but that shouldn't be too hard - I did something like that when I built the ES-175 (that was a dovetail).

• Members

Y'know, this is a off-topic for this thread and I apologize for the pirating of it, but, there's ads on this page for a Mr. Guthrie (or is it Gurthrie) Trapp. You'd think ArtistWorks would at least make an effort. Reminds me of some very artistically rendered and beautifully executed graffiti with misspellings subliminally pushing the continued need for education.

Archived