These may be little...

• Members

So here we have Roland, Novation, and Moog all making major announcements on pretty much the same day that have no tie-in with a trade show. Getting the jump on NAMM?

I believe the Oct 1st is the new NAMM because of pressure from GC. That is their cutoff date to be considered for their Christmas season. Otherwise they don't add new products until the next year.

• Members
I used to own a JX-3P, circa 1983.

The $64 question: Are these new units creating their "analog" sounds.... in the same way their namesake forbears did? He keeps using the words "emulate" and "re-create"... Hmm... what does THAT mean, I wonder. Are they creating sounds in the same way a computer softsynth... or Casio keyboard might do? Surely these aren't digital samples? (Hell, they might be.)

I don't have any inside information, but I imagine if they relied on analog circuitry to generate tones it would be reflected in the price. I don't think you can get there for $300.

• Members

I believe the Oct 1st is the new NAMM because of pressure from GC. That is their cutoff date to be considered for their Christmas season. Otherwise they don't add new products until the next year.

That's an extremely plausible explanation! Thanks Don.

I don't have any inside information, but I imagine if they relied on analog circuitry to generate tones it would be reflected in the price. I don't think you can get there for $300.

I agree - and again, I'm pretty sure they're using some sort of proprietary modeling based on some of the comments in the videos.

He can see Russia from his house!

I can see PLUTO from my house now! :lol: Well, that might be pushing it (I'd have to take it to a really dark sky site), but I CAN see Neptune!

Friday night the seeing was quite good, and I was able to see Saturn, Messier 31 (the Andromeda galaxy, plus M32 and M110, two of its satellite galaxies), Neptune, the Double Cluster in Perseus (NGC 869 & NGC 884), the Pleiades (Messier 45) and even the Orion Nebula (Messier 42), although by then the moon had come up, so it was somewhat washed out.

That speaks well for the instrument Phil! I had consumer grade telescopes when I was younger but the best I could do was Jupiter and 4 or 5 moons. While I don't scope anymore, I'm still a Cosmology fan.

My first 'scope was a cheap department store 3" Newtonian reflector with a horrible mount. But I loved that thing at the time and pretty much wore it out. But even at a young age, I was able to use some really big telescopes. In fact, at one point, I was the youngest person in the world to use the largest telescope (at that time) in the world.

One of my grandfathers worked for the Carnegie Institution - he was an astronomer who mainly worked at Mt Wilson and Mt Palomar. He used to take me with him on the weekends sometimes. I got to meet Dr Maartin Schmidt (who was the Director of the Hale observatories at the time, and who discovered quasars) Dr Carl Sagan (yes, the "Cosmos" guy) and several other notable astronomers, and all of them treated me exceptionally well, which really helped fuel my interest in the subject.

Archived