Squier Mustang Grounding Issue

burton4snow

• Members

I have put pickups in this guitar that I know are dead quiet but I still get a loud hum worse than single coil hum. My guitar tech wired it up and it had the hum. I rewired again still hums. I showed the wiring to my guitar tech and he said it looks good, neater than he would do. Checked the bridge ground. These are Dimarzio Rails and they are dead quiet in my other guitars. Any suggestions? Is my guitar Haunted!?

• Members

The one thing I did was replace the pickguard and I put tin foil on it and the last pickguard had copper on it. There is this little copper tab coming out from the pickup cavity. Maybe it doesn't ground with the tin foil. That is all I can think of that would be an issue.

• Members

The one thing I did was replace the pickguard and I put tin foil on it and the last pickguard had copper on it. There is this little copper tab coming out from the pickup cavity. Maybe it doesn't ground with the tin foil. That is all I can think of that would be an issue.

As stated before' date=' pictures would help.. but from what I remember, shouldn't you have a wire running from the bridge ground to the volume control pot back?[/quote']

Yup... on Mustangs it is frequently a bare wire (or piece of thin unwound guitar string) that runs under the bridge / vibrato plate to right under the grounded control plate without connecting directly to the back of the pot, but either way will work.

Archived