Must you buy subs in pairs? How do I get the most out of my tops by adding a sub?

• Members

FWIW I DJ in an outdoor venue several times a month for young adults, and couldn't get away with anything less than either 4 18s or two 21s. There is another DJ who comes in with just one Yorkville TX9 and does OK, so it is possible to cover the place (usually around 250 in attendance) with a very good double 18 sub. But it barely gets the job done.

Bottom line - if you're DJing for millenials you're not going to get them moving with a single 15" sub. There's just no way even indoors. That's a sub for wedding or anniversary DJs.

If you're short on money scour your local Craigslists for used Yorkville LS8*/ TX or JBL SRX subs. Here's something relatively close to you:

How many were in that gig? I can't imagine needing 4 18" subs. Not taking other factors into consideration I would think that hat would over power the tops if only using a pair of 12" tops. Sheesh..I thought it would be reasonable to use two decent 15" subs or even just one good 18" for a crowd of 250 - 300 people. And... I should have mentioned this earlier but I highly doubt that more than 100 people would be dancing at the same time at this gig. {censored} that probably fixes things doesn't it? lol

• Members

Using 2 RCF 312 A tops for DJ gigs using some very nice gear to cover up to 300 people at an outdoor gig.

I was wondering how to position a single sub to limit sound dissipation. But I also wondered if you are supposed to buy subwoofers in pairs because I've seen how they have pole mounts for your loudspeaker tops. But would that kind of setup be best in an outdoor gig vs firing a single sub into a wall or something?

I am aiming towards a single RCF 705-AS and would love to get 2 of these but its costly enough for me getting just one. I may go with a 18" sub although I want to stay with RCF. But, then there is the 905 AS and maybe that would be better for outdoor performances? I don't know. I'd like to increase headroom if possible and/or have enough power to get the job done for 250-300 at an outdoor gig.

Why not start with a single sub? A sub that will blow many a dual 18" out of the water

is the Yorkville Ls1208. Drive it with LOTS of power and then consider adding a sub if

you feel you need more.

• Members
Why not start with a single sub? A sub that will blow many a dual 18" out of the water

is the Yorkville Ls1208. Drive it with LOTS of power and then consider adding a sub if

you feel you need more.

Yep that would definitely give you some serious sub duty then some. :p

• Members

The LS1208 is pretty badass, but not the best for typical bars, IMO. Can have sight line issues, and they aren't as punchy as a direct fired sub. They are loud and low though and surprisingly easy to move as long as there are no stairs involved.

• Members

The LS1208 is pretty badass, but not the best for typical bars, IMO. Can have sight line issues, and they aren't as punchy as a direct fired sub. They are loud and low though and surprisingly easy to move as long as there are no stairs involved.

I use a pair of LS1208's all the time in local bars and clubs and they're plenty run bridged mono and the PLX 3602. Never had any line of site issues with them either. I do agree that they don't give quite the punch a front loaded cab will, but with a little tweaking I've never wanted for that punch.

For DJ music the LS1208's are great. When we first got the 6 1208's we have we did an outdoor gig with all six and I decided to test them before soundcheck with some DJ Magic Mike. They pumped like a mother{censored}er, and are still going strong several years now with no repairs needed.

However, for the OP, I'd find a cheap used RMX 5050 and buy an SRX728. I saw a brand new 728 on clearance today at Guitar center for $1200.

• Members

I note that the OP has a pair of active tops (RCF 312a). To run an LS1208 (182 lb.) or an SRX728 (167 lb.) he would also need a suitable amp and a crossover. Whether having a hybrid active/passive system would work well for him is an open question. Mark C.

• Members

I note that the OP has a pair of active tops (RCF 312a). To run an LS1208 (182 lb.) or an SRX728 (167 lb.) he would also need a suitable amp and a crossover. Whether having a hybrid active/passive system would work well for him is an open question. Mark C.

Agreed. The 801p's would be a better tool for this application, IMO. He'd also need a delay of 3ms if he's mounting the tops over the 801p's. or, he could just have his tops on stands, with the front grille located about 40" behind the grille of the subs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I've decided to go with an RCF 718-AS 18" or RCF 905 15" sub to start out with a single. Just trying to find some reviews on both in comparison. The reason I don't want to go with Yorkville is because it does not have a true crossover. They have an adjustable low pass filter that allows you to tell it how much low you want it to handle. But does not allow you to choose the frequency you send the tops. The RCF does by allowing you to select a frequency it sends your tops and outputs everything below that frequency to the sub.

• Members

Quoted from Wikipedia:

Matterhorn

The Matterhorn is a subwoofer model completed in March 2007 by Danley Sound Labs in Gainesville, Georgia after a U.S. military request for a loudspeaker that could project infrasonic waves over a distance. The Matterhorn was designed to reproduce a continuous sine wave from 15 to 20 Hz, and generate 94 dB at a distance of 250 meters (820 ft), and more than 140 dB for music playback measured at the horn mouth.[72] It can generate a constant 15 Hz sine wave tone at 140 dB for 24 hours a day, seven days a week with extremely low harmonic distortion. The subwoofer has a flat frequency response from 15 to 80 Hz, and is down 3 dB at 12 Hz.[73] It was built within an intermodal container 20 feet (6.1 m) long and 8 by 8 feet (2.4

Archived