Using your community as research as a resource/Networking

Outkaster

• Members

I was thinking of kind of a different topic that I have never seen posted here in the last 14 years I have been here. Most of us talk to other musicians and try to get into bars or clubs that way but what about people in your area that may lead you into other events, festivals or places you might not have thought of as a resource? Here are a couple of things that I have done to help build an audience:

• There is a local Jamaican restaurant that I frequent. The owner and I have worked together on gigs and events by letting her cater festivals. I give her free bracelets, posters and merchandise. She in turn tells or promotes the band to her customer base therefore increasing our audience. This has worked well on both fronts, in fact extremely well.

• Free merchandise goes a long way. I normally have a stash or merchandise that I carry around for people, not a lot but enough in case I see an opportunity. I told my Judo instructor that he could increase his customer base for his healthcare side business by setting up a table at our gigs. He saw some of my merchandise and wanted the names of the vendors and decided to use them for his own benefit. Anyway we would advertise a club night with a discount admission for club members. Again your introducing two groups of people to something they might not have thought of.

• Do a charity benefit. We allow one event a year to do for free like a diabetes walk or something. We got into a festival last year because a promoter asked me to volunteer for the event. He also does a huge arts festival around here so it worked out.

I know this seems like basic networking but it surprises me 85% of bands I see don't do it. The reason I brought it up as I was subbing Saturday night and I was showing the bandleader a poster of our upcoming CD release party, he looked surprised. I mean you can do things relatively cheap if you put in the work and network. I told him get a graphic artists or do it yourself.,printing is cheaper now and their are internet companies that do bracelets. Too many bands think having a Facebook page does it all, I mean that is part of it but that is more passive then anything and doesn't necessarily equate to people coming to your shows. I suppose its all in what you want or what level you want to get to. I see guys that have been playing the same tunes in the same clubs for years in different line-ups. They don't seem to be happy. Why not do something different? Your community can be an asset.

Archived