20% of sales?!

senorblues

• Members

I just got a response to a FB message gig solicitation: "First time playing gets 20% of sales". My first thought was: "I wonder if they think I'm a four piece . . . " I sent them links to audio clips, including a description of exactly how they were recorded, but we all know that not everyone will think it's necessary to read this sort of thing.

Anyway, have any of you done this sort of thing? Most important, how do you track - or at least estimate - sales for the night?

• Members

I recall last century having a conversation with a venue owner who stated he didn't pay more than 20% of his sales. This was in a no cover place, and the revenue was mainly booze sales, and that applied to five and six piece bands. It was also when leases, and everything else were much cheaper.

Once in a while I play this monstrous restaurant as a duo. They sell a ton of expensive food and a boatload of drinks. Based on amount of seats, and shots of tequila sold, I would estimate $20k on a so so night - but we get more like 1.5%.

I would suspect this place is either very slow, really small, has very cheap booze, is basing this on net profits (if they can tease that out) or there's something else going on. But hey, it could work out just fine - time will tell.

• Members

Small town sports bar. Drinks, bar food, trivia night, Dj, bands, "pong", etc. Looks to be a decent size place, but I'm getting all this from their FB page, Yelp, (one five-star rating :smiley-lol:) etc.

I'm assuming that you all have played places like this and have a sense of what their ring might be.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm assuming that you all have played places like this and have a sense of what their ring might be.

Places vary like crazy. Years ago I would see waitresses in a moderately sized lounge, freaking out if their ring was only $1000. Lately I've been playing a place that might only have ten people over a two hour period. Got a waitress friend who makes $300 to $400 a shift in tips, so the tally of a venue can be all over the map.

Did you wind up playing at that place?

• Members

I haven't heard back from them yet. I have a feeling he thought he was listening to recordings of a full band, and when I asked him about the music files, maybe he then realized I was a solo. I think I can fill a band slot, but there's no way anyone will offer me the same thing a full band will make. I'll try to contact them again soon.

You mentioned ten people over a two hour period . . . . I wonder if you have any opinions about the minimum number of people that the venue needs in order to pay a solo and not lose his shirt. Probably three answers for three kinds of venues - 1) dinner and drinks and 2) primarily mixed drinks and 3) mostly beer . . . We're talking about a sports bar, so I suspect I'm looking at #3. Not exactly upscale, although there are some nice places around here.

• Moderators

Also, I learned years ago to ask if the % was on gross or on net, in which case you have to figure in their overhead and the costs...there really is no rule of thumb since there are too many possible scenarios regarding ownership,staff levels and pay scales on top of the ones you mentioned.

I will always take a lower % on gross...they can make 20% of net wind up costing you money ;)

Archived