POWERED SPEAKER INTERCONNECT CABLES

• Members

I prefer not ganging power with audio. The longer the distance that they are tightly coupled, the more noise you are likely to find in the audio. I've seen claims from certain manufacturers of better noise isolation, but I personally don't buy it. YRMV.

• Members

If you have the time and there is power near the speakers running power from another direction is better but these cables can work. The fact that the AC is shielded helps, and also a powered speaker draws less AC current at low volume. Less current, less coupling between the AC and the audio, less hum. Also, of course we all set up our gain structure so we are feeding a nice hot line level signal to the amp. Also running power from the same source as FOH tends to help with ground loops.

Frank

• Members

Thanks for the replies so far...

Okay... I'm planning a powered speaker solution for my DJ work.... I'm often called upon to do a two zone setup, usually one on a patio/stoop and the other in the main room. The outdoor placement requirements usually mean that I'm either competing with power sources already occupied by urns, hot trays and such, or greater than 30' away from a suitable point... last weekend I set up here:

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/b145i

and had to run a speaker cable around 50' to around where the pink flowers are seen just above my rack, to here:

http://www.freeimagehosting.net/z2ijz

I obviously run independent volumes in the two zones, currently by using the mix/monitor option on my EMX512.

If I am to go powered, I need an convenient, patron-friendly solution to the cable double-trouble.....

• Members

I can see where a siamesed cable would be an appropriate solution in a non-stage setting. Reducing trip hazards is a very legitimate goal. That said, I would personally prefer not to run AC and audio signal together for longer than necessary. In an ideal world, I would have the option to use either a dual cable or two separate cables. That's even more of an investment; whether that is an option for your business is unknown.

One of the things I noticed on the ProCo cables was the inclusion of two XLR cables. In typical powered speaker application for DJ/playback use, the second XLR cable just adds weight, bulk, and expense. Whether another vendor can provide a dual cable (rather than a triple cable) that is available in SA with the right AC ends is another question. I recall that I've seen commercial dual cables but I don't recall the name.

Good luck in your quest. Mark C.

• Members

I have seen these in use as well, Meyer kind of pioneered the concept but others have followed. I wouldn't expect any problems wher you are working with true balanced line level audio siurces and real differential inputs. The shielding is pretty substantial on both paths.

Also, in the touring world, it's not uncommon to run 200' of AC bundled with a snake, and that's mic level signal too.

• Members

If you're going the powered speaker route then yes, use the bundled cable, it will save time as well. Look into some way to put outlets near where the XLR send (mixer out? EQ out) is and it'll save the hassle of putting a quad box on the floor, etc.

• Members

I use what we call "combo cable" all the time. This is really useful for fronfills and truss flown arrangements where cleanliness is a must and time is of the essence. Never had any issues with noise or anything even with 200'-300' runs all over the truss.

Archived