The (lost?) art of album covers...

• Members

It's such a cliché that I won't even bother posting a picture.

But I'm surprised Sgt. Pepper hasn't been mentioned yet.

Not only was it the first album to include a lyric sheet, but as I recall, there were plenty of other goodies. From pictures to cut-out medals and mustaches.

And, of course, the album art itself.

• Members

I was thinking about this years ago, maybe even before 2000. The death of cover art, liner notes, lyric sheets. I wanted to release a CD in a 12" sleeve. Wouldn't have worked, retailers would have balked at the format. Imbedded pdf's sound good... but the public would have to care, and since they don't care about the music enough to pay for it...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Recycled" by a band called Nektar was one of my favorite albums when I was in high school. I even made a silk screen T-shirt of the cover for a project in my graphic arts class.

This was the front side:

0_zpsxgjcf9qd.jpg

This was the back:

nektar_recycleb_zpsvagoz1jj.jpg

Me and a friend bought tickets to see them at the Fox Theatre in Atlanta. We were really excited when we got our tickets and realized that they were front row center. Especially considering the capacity of the Fox was about 4600 people.

About a week before the show they said on the radio that the concert had been canceled due to low tickets sales.

I think they sold less than 100 tickets.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

As I mentioned in another thread, I`m in the minority. I usually buy entire albums off of iTunes where I get all the cover art and liner notes. I`m into that stuff. When I think of great album covers, I think of Pink Floyd. Rush also has some interesting covers. I would post them all here if it wasn`t a PITA.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Back in the day Janis played around the bay before they were yet very big...Saw her and Big Brother at Cherry Hall a small venue in the East Bay Area and if I remember correctly it cost a buck fidy to get in. Maybe held 300 people.

Always thought this was a great album cover...Most bands came through Philmore West in the City and the posters were very cool....

818d856400344f3e01bde30dc6efc2ea.jpg.70809ec4cc0b1b67848c6bc7cd19a7a8.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • Members

The art work and the information are the main reasons I still prefer physical media. Not just lyrics but engineers, producers, studios, musicians, songwriters - all these things that get lost when it is purely digital delivery. Plus it has taken away a very valuable source of promotion for those folks. Imagine how many recording, mix and mastering engineers got more jobs cause someone liked what they did on an album. Now they're virtually anonymous. There's a lot of fallout from this change in music distribution methods and almost none of it is good.

Archived