OT: Country Music Awards

• Members

One thing I noticed is that most of the singers seemed to be way more 'pitchy' than other award shows I have watched them on. At least that's how they sounded to me. I was starting to wonder if there was some sort of technical problem with the IEM monitor systems or something, since so many of the top singers seemed to have a tough time keeping on pitch. Anyone else notice that?

• Members

I agree 100% there were monitor problems. Especially when Gary La Vox of Rascall Flatts had to motion around his EAR, and then later yell in the mike "can you hear the banjo back there?".. The only vocal that was loud enough unfortunately was Toby Keith's silly red cup song. Yes what were all those out of place folks doing trying to piggyback on the popularity of todays Country music?

• Members

Yes what were all those out of place folks doing trying to piggyback on the popularity of todays Country music?

I think it less likely those particular acts were trying to piggyback on the popularity of today's country music and more likely the people responsible for producing a nationally telecast production of today's country music trying to bring in larger viewing audiences.

• Members

I think it less likely those particular acts were trying to piggyback on the popularity of today's country music and more likely the people responsible for producing a nationally telecast production of today's country music trying to bring in larger viewing audiences.

I think you're probably right. As lame as it is, the crossover stuff of the last few years (Bon Jovi, Kid Rock, Sheryl Crow, Jewel, etc.) has been instrumental in quietly making country music VERY popular. I think it's mututally beneficial to the pop and rock artists (most of whom are no longer relevent in that genre) and to country.

With regards to the monitoring issues, I imagine that type of award show setting has to be one of the toughest places to do sound, right? You've not only got to worry about monitoring and FOH, but also how it sounds on TV.

Anyone have any experience with sound in that type of event?

• Members
With regards to the monitoring issues, I imagine that type of award show setting has to be one of the toughest places to do sound, right? You've not only got to worry about monitoring and FOH, but also how it sounds on TV.

Actually they have three or four different consoles - one for each of those tasks plus possibly a recording console, all with separate sound engineers. All the mic's are split 3 or 4 ways.

• Members

Great just what we need, another generic pop music sound. National commercial music styles seem to be heading down the same boring path as national food chains. Same old, same old were ever you go and none of it particularly good...

I'm turning into a curmudgeon.

Archived