How to "daisey chain" powered speakers ??

• Members

Ok, I have a dumb question. I have 2 jbl prx612m powered speakers that I will be using for monitors. My question is how do I run a line out from one and go to the other ? There is an XLR line out but I tried it and it does not work. I have a cable that is XLR on one end and 1/4 on the other. I ran this out from one speaker to the input of the other without any luck.

For now, I am going to just use a Y splitter coming out of the mixer so I can run the signal to both speakers, but surely there is a better way. What am I doing wrong ? Do I need a special cable ?

Thanks

• Members

Apparently not. I see now that the input is a COMBO 1/4 and XLR. That answers my question, although I would think that the XLR to 1/4 cable should have still worked since it is also a 1/4 input. ??? I will try the XLR to XLR next.

thank you

• Members

Mixer-monitor aux send------>speaker #1 xlr in-speaker #1 xlr out ---------> speaker #2 xlr in

Depending on the mixer some have only 1/4 "TRS send so I use 1ft 1/4" TRS to XLR cable for active drum wedge I use which the 1/4 TRS jack is on the mixer side.

• Members

Depending on the wiring of the driving device (mixer), you may find that the connection is not fully balanced (impedance compensated only) and the adapter (cable) that's XLR to 1/4" may be connecting the signal to ground inadvertantly by jumping it to the ring which is then tied to shield.

ANYTIME an adapter is used on a pseudo-balanced signal path, this is one possible result. XLR-XLR will not allow for this to happen.

• Members

Depending on the wiring of the driving device (mixer), you may find that the connection is not fully balanced (impedance compensated only) and the adapter (cable) that's XLR to 1/4" may be connecting the signal to ground inadvertantly by jumping it to the ring which is then tied to shield.

ANYTIME an adapter is used on a pseudo-balanced signal path, this is one possible result. XLR-XLR will not allow for this to happen.

So in simpler terms the mixer's aux send could be unbalanced and using a balanced cable is not sending the proper signal.

Archived