"An Odd Little Town"

LCK

• Members

I don't know if this is a lyric or a poem.

The idea was to go "verb-less" and see what happens...

"An Odd Little Town (Without Any Verbs)"

The cars along Main Street,

the snow banks and curbs,

an odd little town,

without any verbs.

A tea shop, so fragrant

from strange foreign herbs,

an odd little town

without any verbs.

Conjunctions? And how!

Prepositions? Those too!

Adverbs and adjectives?

Quite likely a few.

Far away from the cities,

the strip malls and burbs,

just an odd little town

without any verbs.

• Members

This is great. I think it could work as a poem or as a lyric. "Quite likely a few" sounds like it would fit better in a poem.

I'm curious to know how long it would have taken me to pick up on the fact there are no verbs If you hadn't come out and said it.

The reference to a the tea shop stands out because it is a little more specific than the rest.

• Members

I like the potential for this - and i have a suggestion - food for thought. Basically, so far in the story, we learn that the town is verbless, but does have other language constructs.

What if? you weaved in something about the consequences of being verbless - either something they can't do in that town - some consequence of not having verbs.

and since verbs are actions, baseballs remain on the ground, cars are left in garages etc.

Please don't ask me for more examples!!!! :-)

• Members
Coda:

No one sleeps no one dreams,

no one smiles, no one's kissed

in this odd little town

where verbs don't exist.

Hmmm……If they don't do these things, then what do they do? If they do nothing then why set up the verses with cars and a teashop?

Maybe you do a Coda which says that people sleep and people dream, smile and kiss. People still live their lives where verbs don't exist.

My thought for the morning. I'll go and put out the verbs in the trash and ………….preposition the rest of the morning

• Members

This is wonderful, outstanding. I don't have much to add to this at this point except I wish the lines about Conjunctions and Prepositions actually used those parts of speech more demonstrably.

I love this too:

No one sleeps no one dreams,

no one smiles, no one's kissed

in this odd little town

where verbs don't exist.

Maybe the point is that without ACTION life has no meaning. Maybe you set it up that they are people who live in their heads. Dunno. Love it, though, shows real craft.

• Members
I wish the lines about Conjunctions and Prepositions actually used those parts of speech more demonstrably.

Yeah, in the bridge I got an AND for the conjunctions, and QUITE and LIKELY for the adverbs and adjectives, but I didn't get a preposition IN there, nor did I get any NOUNS. I'm working on it...

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Yeah, in the bridge I got an AND for the conjunctions, and QUITE and LIKELY for the adverbs and adjectives, but I didn't get a preposition IN there, nor did I get any NOUNS. I'm working on it...

Actually, without verbs, the likelihood of finding an adverb is zip-point-diddly-squat. Nouns you had aplenty!

This is a totally great lyric! With that lilt, it's begging to go beyond poetry. It definitely wants to be a song. Get back to work!

Archived