How loud can it go?

• Members

Last night I had the opportunity to do some playing around with 2 PRX618S-XLF's, 2 Cerwin Vega CVA118's, 2 Yamaha DSR112's and 2 Cerwin Vega CVA28's.

We started off by putting 1 DSR over a PRX618S-XLF on one side, and 1 DSR over a CVA118 on the other. CD music was played and panned to each side to see how it sounded.

The big thing here was that I had previously thought the CVA's went louder. Not true.

Next, I plugged in the system as follows on each side:

Mixer -> CVA118 (crossover bypassed) -> PRX618S-XLF (crossover engaged) -> Yamaha DSR112 (crossover bypassed) -> CVA23 (crossover engaged)

I raised the output on the mixer until the clip lights went on. This went VERY loud. The basement ceiling tiles were shaking so strongly that a fine snow of white dust started falling from the ceiling!!

I unhooked the CVA23's (the tonal quality simply wasn't as good as the DSR112's). The DSR112's actually sounded pretty good over 2 subs per side. I was pretty surprised. I had expected the tops to run out of steam before the subs.

I wouldn't hesitate to run this last setup in a medium club (say 200-300 people). It would thump the place quite well.

As an aside, I found a pair of poles on e-bay used for $65.00 ..... but I am still irritated that I had to get new poles ;) The same poles that work with the PRX618S-XLF's also work in the QSC K-Sub and QSC KW181.

What height should the HF driver for the tops be at?

• Members
Last night I had the opportunity to do some playing around with 2 PRX618S-XLF's, 2 Cerwin Vega CVA118's, 2 Yamaha DSR112's and 2 Cerwin Vega CVA28's.

We started off by putting 1 DSR over a PRX618S-XLF on one side, and 1 DSR over a CVA118 on the other. CD music was played and panned to each side to see how it sounded.

• The PRX side sounded tighter and punchier

• The PRX side sounded well balanced.. no frequency holes

• The PRX went louder before it started tickling the limit lights

• The CVA118 side had a boom to it that the PRX lacked (this could be seen as good or bad depending on your taste).

The big thing here was that I had previously thought the CVA's went louder. Not true.

Next, I plugged in the system as follows on each side:

Mixer -> CVA118 (crossover bypassed) -> PRX618S-XLF (crossover engaged) -> Yamaha DSR112 (crossover bypassed) -> CVA23 (crossover engaged)

I raised the output on the mixer until the clip lights went on. This went VERY loud. The basement ceiling tiles were shaking so strongly that a fine snow of white dust started falling from the ceiling!!

I unhooked the CVA23's (the tonal quality simply wasn't as good as the DSR112's). The DSR112's actually sounded pretty good over 2 subs per side. I was pretty surprised. I had expected the tops to run out of steam before the subs.

I wouldn't hesitate to run this last setup in a medium club (say 200-300 people). It would thump the place quite well.

As an aside, I found a pair of poles on e-bay used for $65.00 ..... but I am still irritated that I had to get new poles
;)
The same poles that work with the PRX618S-XLF's also work in the QSC K-Sub and QSC KW181.

What height should the HF driver for the tops be at?

how tall is your crowd? Slightly above that should be perfect.

Archived