10" 2-ways for 13,200 square feet room?

• Members

Yep, that's all that was needed tonight for a fund raiser in a converted lumber warehouse that is now the sports facility for a Boys & Girls Club.

A pair of KV2 EX10's was all I used in the 110' x 120' room for voice and back ground music. Got rave reviews and booked several future gigs. Shaka Smart was the guest speaker at this fund raiser.

Around lunch before the caterers were done setting up.

51ezwh.jpg

9hq80w.jpg

• Members

I'm guessing the room acoustics must have helped some, but still those speakers must kick.

I'm doing a 66' by 99' ballroom next week with six (6) Mackie SRM 350's staggered - We'll see how that goes. It's not my gear, but I'll be mixing. I've got mixed feelings about trying to achieve something with gear that I wouldn't normally use. Especially when my gear will be sitting at home, but oh well.

• Members

I'm sure they are great sounding speakers, but I still can't get over their price which is 4 to 5X the price of an RCF 310A. I'm sure they sound better and get a few DBs louder, but certainly not 4 to 5X better and louder. (I would like to see how they compare to a set of 710As to be honest - which are half the price of the KV2s and seem to offer similar output and sound quality) The KV2s also come in at more than 15lbs heavier than a 310A AND their full range performance does not seem to be what I would expect in a speaker costing close to 2000$ (taken from a review by Bob Dietrich) :

"If you

• Members

It's a very reflective hall....so sound will travel easily. Still...good to see you had positive results with these speakers.

A client of mine a few years ago wanted a sound system for announcements in a venue that looks very similar to Bill's (it was trade show of some kind) and I had rented him a pair of Behringer B212As on stands (which I no longer own but did at one time) hooked up to a Yamaha MG10 mixer. I don't lend my good stuff to clients if I am not in attendance. The system actually worked very well (and was setup for maximum GBF of course with me explaining to the client how to talk into a microphone) and could be heard pretty clearly all over. The client told me it was the best system they had ever had for this event, making me wonder what they had used in the past. This system was worth about 500$ in total - and I made back 1/5 of its value by just renting if for the day! I was happy AND the client was happy.

I was actually hired to DJ the dance (in a different venue but for the same organization) after the meal and auction that same night and made an extra 500$ for this. I just added my LS700P powered sub (at the time) to these same B212As for the dance portion of the night and ended up paying for the B212As AND mixer that one day.

Al

• Members

Yep, that's all that was needed tonight for a fund raiser in a converted lumber warehouse that is now the sports facility for a Boys & Girls Club.

A pair of KV2 EX10's was all I used in the 110' x 120' room for voice and back ground music. Got rave reviews and booked several future gigs. Shaka Smart was the guest speaker at this fund raiser.

Around lunch before the caterers were done setting up.

51ezwh.jpg

9hq80w.jpg

Ok no one was talking at the tables? The backround noise alone in that room with those acoustics would over power those loudspeakers fairly easily.

If everyone was sitting and listening then I could see that setup working fine.

• Members

Ok no one was talking at the tables? The backround noise alone in that room with those acoustics would over power those loudspeakers fairly easily.

If everyone was sitting and listening then I could see that setup working fine.

I'll bet it was alcohol free ;)

• Members

Plenty of PA for the application IME. I use a pair of similar cabinets for a client for almost the same application and have more PA than I need.

I do recall a Town Hall meeting I did several years ago in about a 40' by 60' gym. I used two ancient Yorkville Elite M160's (basically an RCF speaker) and a powered mixer. Now that I think of it, that was plenty loud and it sounded great. In fact one woman still sticks out in my mind as being way too loud on the audience mic, I had to turn her down.

But in a carpeted ballroom I don't know. Anyway, the in house sound co that's supplying "my" ballroom gear next week, pretty much insisted I would need six Mackie SRM 350's to get the job done. We won't be delaying them, but maybe that's better than the wrong delay, or the wrong result from delaying.

• Members

A client of mine a few years ago wanted a sound system for announcements in a venue that looks very similar to Bill's (it was trade show of some kind) and I had rented him a pair of Behringer B212As on stands (which I no longer own but did at one time) hooked up to a Yamaha MG10 mixer. I don't lend my good stuff to clients if I am not in attendance. The system actually worked very well (and was setup for maximum GBF of course with me explaining to the client how to talk into a microphone) and could be heard pretty clearly all over. The client told me it was the best system they had ever had for this event, making me wonder what they had used in the past. This system was worth about 500$ in total - and I made back 1/5 of its value by just renting if for the day! I was happy AND the client was happy.

I was actually hired to DJ the dance (in a different venue but for the same organization) after the meal and auction that same night and made an extra 500$ for this. I just added my LS700P powered sub (at the time) to these same B212As for the dance portion of the night and ended up paying for the B212As AND mixer that one day.

Al

I am happy to hear that. You have gotten back your investment from such humble gears within a day?? Your Client was happy. You are Happy.

Clients are not gonna pay you 4-5 times more if you tell them that you have 2 speakers that cost 4-5 times more than Behringer.

• Members

Clients are not gonna pay you 4-5 times more if you tell them that you have 2 speakers that cost 4-5 times more than Behringer.

Sure they will if they need the performance that the lesser speakers can npot provide.

The world is not all about lowest cost, some folks (at least where I am from) are realy concerned about quality, pewrformance, reliability, cosmetics, and cost is way down the list.

• Members

'round here loud looking is #1. But folks like Vinny and Jeff do have an advantage over their competition in that their stuff sounds great too :D . I don't think they can get much more than the "big old crap" providers get though :( .

BTW I've seen a "double stack" around here where the second half of each double stack consists of broken not hooked up stuff that doesn't even match the "active" stacks :facepalm: . How sad is that :freak: ?

• Members

BTW I've seen a "double stack" around here where the second half of each double stack consists of broken not hooked up stuff that doesn't even match the "active" stacks
:facepalm:
. How sad is that
:freak:
?

Funny. I see a lot of this in Toronto. A lot of venues have newer rigs that are simply stacked on top of the outdated rigs (usually W bins, mid and hi-packs). Sometimes the older boxes get used for barspace near the stage, or as an extension to the stage itself. It's kinda funny to see sometimes.

There are actually a few venues still using their old horn-loaded three-way systems. Most of them don't sound too bad.

Archived