Crossover (Updated)

• Members

A few weeks ago i posted a thread about taking my crossovers out of a set of subs that i have and using a rackmount crossover that i am using for some other subs that i have The crossovers in the cabinets were 125 Hz and i have my rackmount crossover set at 90 Hz. and wanted to run the ones crossover at 90 Hz too. so i took them out , Anyways , i got to use them yesterday and man what a difference it has truly made with my setup. I have that thump that i wanted and the system sounded great yesterday. I got a lot of compliments from the bands They really liked playing on the system. I am truly impressed with how much of a difference that it made going in that direction from 125Hz to 90 Hz . and the sound that i got from it. I just wanted to give an update for ya. Thanks.

• Members

i'm glad you got it worked out, i've always felt lowpass xovers in a sub were kind of redundant. i dont think its the crossover point making the big difference but the lack ofcircuitry soaking up valuable power from reaching the sub is probably playing a very large part in what your hearing now. either way, a definite upgrade.

• Members

i'm glad you got it worked out, i've always felt lowpass xovers in a sub were kind of redundant. i dont think its the crossover point making the big difference but the lack ofcircuitry soaking up valuable power from reaching the sub is probably playing a very large part in what your hearing now. either way, a definite upgrade.

That could be true. All i know is that it sounded really great yesterday , and i have never ever thought about that suggestion. but you may have hit something there.

• Members

It seems like a lot of people are trying to avoid an external crossover in this world of powered,crossedover,and "auto-sound"(kinda like when auto-focus cameras came out),but being old school,I cant imagine setting up a 2.or 3-way system without an external crossover.Just my two cents,

• Members

It seems like a lot of people are trying to avoid an external crossover in this world of powered,crossedover,and "auto-sound"(kinda like when auto-focus cameras came out),but being old school,I cant imagine setting up a 2.or 3-way system without an external crossover.Just my two cents,

Well, i can tell you this much , i wont go back to internal crossovers in my subs, They sounded to good for me to even think about it. LOL

• Members

I think the benefits you experienced are for a few reasons. Number one you get to choose a different crossover point (which sounds better to you) but you also have lost the distortion and power loss from the passive crossover. Passive crossovers for the most part are not desirable for live sound speakers.

Archived